one

Spy rule #1: Don't reveal your true identity. Doing so may result in deadly consequences.

I ran. My legs ached and my lungs burned, but I couldn't stop. I couldn't let him see me. I ran until my legs shut down. I ran until it turned pitch black. For minutes, nothing. It was only darkness. One light turned on behind me. "Hello, Thea." My breath hitched. That voice... It was familiar. I turned around. In bloody clothes and mud-stained shoes, there stood the man who killed my parents. Damien Reed.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my lungs searching for air. Not this again, I thought. Not the Reed dreams again. I shook my head, grabbing my phone. It was 4 in the morning. I was supposed to wake up in three hours to get ready, but going back to sleep would only ignite more nightmares of him.

I opened the blinds, though the sun hadn't risen yet. I put my brown hair in a ponytail, sitting at my desk. There was the black file folder, containing all information of this month's mission. They usually lasted a week or two, but this one was a high danger one. Especially for me and my brother, Owen. We were going to find a USB flash drive containing sensitive information regarding our enemy's organization.

I knew Owen had studied his alias and stuff. He took the time on the plane to do that. Me, on the other hand, did not, because I am a whole teenage idiot. I have to cram seventeen pages of knowledge into my low energy brain in a couple of hours, using the remaining to get ready. I groaned, setting my head down on my desk. I was exhausted. My phone buzzed.

I grabbed it off of my bed, looking. One new text from Maddie.

>Hey don't forget the way to school :P. Want me to send you the directions from your house?

i think i have it saved somewhere, its fine. thanks. <

Maddie was four years older than me. I don't want to say she raised me and Owen, but she did. After Reed killed my parents, she came to us and told us about the spy organization our parents were in. I didn't want to be a spy, but Owen? He was so young. 8 years old and full of imagination. I was only 10. He begged me to say yes so I could be a spy with him. I agreed, only to watch Owen. Little did I know, it would become my whole life and not just a part of it.

I shut off my phone, looking back at the file. The whole backstory and things people don't even need to know, but I do. Things like favorite food, allergies, favorite time of day (which is 5:39 pm specifically), and names of past pets that are dead or gone. Yes, they might need to know allergies, but considering my alias is a girl who doesn't want to talk, no one will know.

I studied my folder a while longer before going downstairs and making breakfast for Owen. The sun had come up now, flooding the rooms with 30% more light. I walked to the kitchen and made cinnamon waffles, Owen's favorite. I put it down on the table and went to go get dressed for school. Today will be the first day of our mission to find and shadow someone with information. I knew I had to go in as my alias but also blend in. Pretty difficult when your alias' personality makes you dress like a mixture of trendy but also a 2007 emo kid.

Changing out of my All Time Low shirt and sweatpants, I went with a red long sleeve crop top, ripped black jeans, and red doc martens. For makeup, smokey red eyeshadow, false lashes, and sparkly lip gloss. I brushed and straightened my hair, putting it in a ponytail again. I looked at my phone. It was an hour away from when we had to be at school. Since I didn't have my license yet, we had to walk. It'll take 10 minutes, so I decided to wake Owen up now. I banged on the wall to wake him up (his room was next to mine).

I heard a yell. "Wake up, Owen! You have, like, 50 minutes to get ready and eat your waffles! Get up or I'm hitting you with a pillow until you're up."

"Okay, fine!" I heard him yell, angry.

I grabbed my backpack, full of a mixture of school supplies and spy gadgets, running downstairs. When I was there, Owen was sitting down at the table eating his waffle. "It's more on the burnt side today." He said.

"Sorry," I said. "I was distracted."

"Speed studying again, Thea?" I nodded. "We had a week to study, c'mon Thee. You're gonna forget all of it once you step into the high school building."

I groaned. "I know, hush, child. You know I procrastinate. Anyways, meet me outside when you finish your waffles, 'kay? Don't forget your watch." Owen nodded, his unbrushed hair flopping into his face. I ruffled his hair, walking away. "And brush your hair, it's too messy."

I closed the door behind me, sitting on the porch stairs. Next door, people were moving into the house. There was a man, woman, and what I can assume is their son. He carried a box labeled "Dylan's stuff". Now I know the neighbor kid's name. Cool. I examined him. He had messy black hair, light skin (contradicting to my tan skin), and maybe brown eyes. He looked over at me and waved. I looked down at my phone. I heard Owen open the door, and I looked behind me. He brushed his hair, so it looked like a lighter brown than usual. He was wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and some Adidas tennis shoes.

I stood up. "Ready to go?" He nodded, so we walked. I heard someone yelling, so I looked over. It was Dylan. The neighbor kid.

"Do you guys need a ride?" I looked at Owen. He shrugged.

"I don't know, maybe?" Owen said to me. I looked back over at Dylan.

"If you don't mind, I guess!" I yelled. He drove closer to us, which was unnecessary, but nice. We got into the back seat.

"High school?" We nodded. "What're your names?"

"I'm Eliza. He's Jake." I looked at him while he drove.

Owen played games on his phone. "I'm Dylan. What grade are you guys in?"

"Jake's a freshman, I'm a junior," I said. Owen wasn't paying attention at all, so I had to speak for him.

"I'm in the same grade as you, Eliza. Nice to know I'll know someone in my classes." He laughed. I smiled, looking out the window, seeing my new school. "Well, we're here. Help me find a parking space."

----

(First chapter, woo! This, unlike stars, won't shift POW. Oops? I guess? Whatever. Anyways, if you haven't read stars, you should, its gay and fantasy and mermaid-y and just absolute garbage actually dont read it lmao. This story might have minor cussing like damn or hell, but they're like 16-17 so it's reasonable. This was longer than the actual chapter, but if you're reading this and have questions, comment or somethin. Bye <3)