Chapter 6

[Gregory Alexander King]

        I got to Lush a little later than usual. Luke was already with Louise. She was testing her microphone, but she jumped off of the small stage when she saw me.

        “Gregsie!” She cheered, throwing her arms around my neck for a brief hug. I groaned at her loud use of my embarrassing nickname. “It’s cute.” She defended, returning to Luke.

        “I’m not cute.” I groaned again.

        “Of course you are!” Cooed Marta teasingly, the band’s keyboardist.

        “I’m rolling my eyes, Marta.” I informed her, since she was intently practicing and still hadn’t looked up.

        “Whatever.” Louise retorted, sticking out her tongue. She was sitting on Luke’s leg and had one arm slung around his neck.

        “You guys are so couple-y.” I complained to Luke. “If I ever get like that, just shoot me.”

        “And miss rubbing your face in it every chance I got? No thanks.” Luke grinned.

        “Some friend.” I grumbled. Lush was as crowded as it was going to get by then and I knew Louise’s band had to preform soon. As if on cue, Louise crowded together with her band to do their usual pre-performance tradition. I was watching them each bite into a lemon slice with my usual mixture of amusement and pity, so I missed seeing the cheerleader walk in. Luke elbowed me in sudden shock.

        “Dude!” He whispered fiercely.

        “What?”

        “It’s the cheerleader!” He whapped my arm for emphasis and pointed. Sure enough, the cheerleader girl was pulling out a chair at a small table in the back of the room. “Go see why she’s here!”

        “She’s here because I invited her.” I answered immediately, guiltily. I asked a girl on a date thinking she wouldn’t even consider it and now she showed up and I was going to have to explain that I wasn’t actually interested in her.

        “No, she’s the head cheerleader. She doesn’t go to a Death Note concert because she was invited. See what she wants, chick magnet!” Louise got onstage and the band started playing, so Luke turned away before I could protest. The cheerleader had her eyes on the band, coolly ignoring me. Her eyes met mine once and she smirked. Her look challenged me: I’m here, now what? Helplessly, I went over.