Hannah's Story

“Hello?” I picked up the phone. It was around two on a Saturday afternoon and I was still in my pajamas.

                “Hey, babe, what are you doing?” I smiled, Alex always found the time to call me when he was on tour.

                “Nothing; I usually spend my weekends with you, but you aren’t here so,” I heard him laugh on the other line. “What are you doing?”

                “Waiting for you to come outside.” It took a second for the words to sink in and then I was off the couch and at the front door. Alex waved to me from where he was leaning against his car. I ran down my front stairs and into his arms.

                “I thought you weren’t coming home for another couple weeks!” I took his hand and led him back inside.

                “Me too, but we got a few days off and I wanted to spend them with you,” he shut the front door and turned to you with a smile. “Go get changed, I have a surprise. But dress comfortably. Oh and I wouldn’t put on any makeup if I were you.”

                “Ooh, I love surprises!” I squealed as I hurried off to my bedroom. I slipped into a t-shirt and a pair of jean shorts, pulled my hair into a messy bun, and I was ready to go

                “Perfect,” Alex stated when I walked back out. “Alright, let’s go. I can’t wait until you see it; you’re gonna love it.”

                I giggled at how excited he was and followed him to the car. The drive only took us about ten minutes and Alex made me close my eyes for the last five. If I didn’t, he said, it would ruin the surprise.

                “Are we almost there yet?” I whined. “I’m tired of waiting. I wanna see what I’m gonna love so much.”

                “Almost, just stay where you are, I’ll come get you,” he ordered as I felt the car slow to a stop. I heard him get out of the car and a few seconds later he was helping me out of the car. “Keep your eyes closed now.”

                But I already knew what the surprise was. As soon as he’d opened the door and I heard the splashing and smelled the chlorine, I knew.

                “How’d you know?” I asked, opening my eyes and turning to him with a grin.

                “That water parks were your favorite?” He smiled mischievously and tapped my nose. “Lucky guess, come on, I don’t want to waste a single second.”

                “Where do you want to go first?” he asked when we got inside. I spun around in place, taking everything in.  

                “There!” I pointed to the biggest water slide in the place.

                “You sure, Hannah?” He raised his eyebrows and peered up at it. “It looks pretty high.”

                “I’ll be fine,” I assured him, quickly adding, “As long as you go down with me.”

                He chuckled and shook his head, grabbing my hand and leading me to the line. When we finally reached the top, I got on first. Then he slid in behind me and wrapped his hands around my waist.

                “Ready?” he whispered into my hair.

                “Ready,” I responded, lacing my fingers through his.