Chapter 8

"But, why am I here?" Flyfii asked. She was meditating once more, this time on her own. She had wandered toward the northern marsh and settled herself underneath a willow.

Shamaa's eyes were bright and twinkled with happiness, she seemed joyous to have Flyfii finally know the truth. "When I was pregnant and I meditated, I always saw the same thing: a bird of fire streaming across the sky. When I saw the way the ginger of your pelt flashed, I knew it was about you. I knew you were special. After we died, I purposely sought your little faerie out and kept an eye out until there was an opening for you. Bloumari, she was always pregnant with two kittens, but one's faerie did not fully form. The kitten would have been born still. I seized the opportunity to slip you in, to ensure that you would be born again."

"I'm...not her daughter?" Flyfii murmured, shocked at the explanation.

Shamaa was silent. She only looked at her daughter, gazing upon her as if she were an object of magnificence. Finally, she spoke, "Darling, do you understand what must be done? You are meant to bring the colonies together. You are destined for greatness."

Flyfii blinked. She took in a deep breath, held it, released. "I see."

"Why is he blind though?"

Flyfii found she was no longer in mediation, but her consciousness was within her body. She looked in the near distance and saw two figures walking. The adult had grey and ginger hair, her daughter was a regular tortoiseshell. It was the daughter, Tanduu, who had spoken.

Her mother, Sindao, replied, "I don't know, it just happened over time." They were talking about Eccliei.

"But how does he still hunt?" she asked, "He takes me and Swimmdou out every day almost." Swimmdou was her grey spotted tabby brother.

"He still has his other senses," she said, "and I think those are better now that he cannot see."

"How do you feel about him being blind?"

Sindao shrugged, "It's not something that bothers me. Sometimes I wish he could see how you and Swimmdou have grown, but I know that he does know you are both blossoming into wonderful colonists."

Flyfii sighed, not caring to eavesdrop. She tuned the rest of the conversation out and focused on her own meditation once more.

"Eeisu, come help me," Caoii, spoke. The calico cat was walking into the night.

"Coming!" a young Eeisu called out, racing after her mother. She was in her pale tortoiseshell form.

She sighed to Shamaa, "So we're playing this game again. Who is half-blood this time?"

"Just follow," Shamaa replied.

So Flyfii did. She trotted behind the mother and daughter pair as they ventured away from the mouth of a cave and beyond ash and hickory trees nearing where the beech trees were clustered.

"Klouna, how are you?"

A moan came in response. A cat had worked her way into the roots of the tree. Flyfii stepped closer, knowing she could not be seen, and found a calico with more black than ginger.

Caoii touched her muzzle to the other calico's ear, "Don't worry, sister, this will go well. Kitting isn't that hard."

"What will I do after they've been kitted?" her voice was strained.

"We'll take them home." Caoii made it sound so simple.

"What about the father?"