Why? (Short Story)

I was watching the news when I saw it.

I saw the bloodied blanket covering the body. Her body.

I heard the authorities say she was stabbed to the heart 6 times and then raped. The thought that someone did that to her hurt me as if my heart was being stabbed 6 times.

As I watched the news, her lovely face flashed on my mind though my last memory of her face was contorted with pain.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Mae and I were the best of friends.

She migrated to the U.S. when she was 10. I was 11 then.

I was heartbroken that time. I loved her and I knew that she loved me too. She just didn’t know it yet.

I remember the day she told me she’d be leaving…

I was at the park. There was a mini greenhouse there where Mae and I like to rest when we get tired from playing.

“Mikey!” I heard that angelic voice I love. It was her. I looked at her and saw that she was crying. My beautiful angel was crying. Is it possible that a girl can cry and still look beautiful?

“What’s wrong Mae-Mae?” I asked her.

“I’m leaving for the States.” Her answer shocked me. I didn’t recognize what I felt at that moment. I was angry, not at her for I could never get mad at her, but at everyone. I was going to tell her she was my crush. I didn’t cry. I’m a boy. I shouldn’t cry right?

I just told her to never forget about me and that I would miss her.

I tried so hard to keep our communication intact. She did too. We chatted through Facebook, YM and Skype. On weekends, we would see each other through video calling. The happiness I felt bloomed inside me. I was always giddy during our chat times.

When I was 13, I decided to court her even if she was far from me. I didn’t care if we were too young or if she was on the other side of the world. I loved her and that’s all that matters.

Mae was different. She’s a snob yet a sweet girl. She’s a lazy person when it comes to talking yet when she does, her words are full of wisdom. She’s mature, independent and kind. She’s the kindest person I know.

When she turned 15, she finally agreed to be my girlfriend. I was so happy that I yelled in front of the computer screen. She answered me through Skype and I saw that she was happy, really happy, that I could see her eyes sparkle.

I’m 16 now and tomorrow is her 16th birthday. I want to surprise her but I can’t possibly go to the U.S. I don’t have the money for that. So I just settled for a scrapbook with every picture of anything that reminded me of her since she went away. I sent it to her exactly 2 weeks ago so that it’ll arrive exactly tomorrow. I purposely left the last 5 pages of that scrapbook for her to design. She loves art. It’s also our first anniversary tomorrow. I’m happy as I can be.

Also, tomorrow is my first day in college. It sucks to not go to the same college as her. All my friends who are serious with their gfs/bfs went to the same universities as them.

That night, we saw each other again. She excitedly showed me the scrapbook I gave her. We chatted happily and I told her I love her and that I could see myself growing old with her. I also asked her when she will come home. I miss her. I want to hold and feel her.

“Mom hasn’t agreed yet. Don’t worry. I think she’ll agree soon,” Mae said.

“I’ll wait for you. No matter how long. I will wait for you. Ok?” I told her.