Chapter 1 ~ The Beginning

"Hello, I've been traveling in the deserts of my mind. And I haven't found a drop of life." —Twenty One Pilots
-
-
-
I woke up, the same as everyday, at 5am to prepare for the day ahead of me. Why do I wake up so early? Some might think, well you see, ever since my  Dad went missing at war, I've had to look after my family. My mother went mad after he left and turned to drink and gave up on me and my brother. My brother, Sam, is only 7 years old but he's already so mature for his age. Every morning I have to clean up the house after my mother would trash it, make breakfast for everyone, get Sam ready for school and get myself ready. The only thing that gets me through everyday is blasting TØP and my best friend, and neighbour, Liam Payne.

"Y/n!", he called, outside my house, "we're going to be late for the first day back to school!" Liam has been my best friend since birth, we were born the same day, 29th of August and also happened to be neighbours

Liam has been my best friend since birth, we were born the same day, 29th of August and also happened to be neighbours. Our parents used to be best friends until my Dad left and it all changed.
"Liam, I'm not ready yet!"
I called out, trying to stuff Sam's feet into his shoes.
I sprinted upstairs and threw on black ripped jeans, my Fall Out Boy t-shirt, black converse and my Dad's old jacket.
"Why do you still wear that thing y/n?",
Liam said as I came down the stairs,
"He's not coming back"
"Shut up Liam", I retorted, "you don't know anything."

After walking Sam to his school, we hopped on the bus and awaited the arrival at hell, also known as Modest High.

I've always been an outsider at that school, my only real friend is Liam.
As I walked into school, I felt my books being knocked out of my hand. My eyes snapped up to the culprit, Louis Tomlinson.

He is the most popular guy at school, the head of the football team/quarterback, and an all round bully

He is the most popular guy at school, the head of the football team/quarterback, and an all round bully. He never leaves me alone and always finds a new way to belittle me.

Next to him is the cornerback, Niall Horan.

He's usually quite quiet and he never really speaks to me

He's usually quite quiet and he never really speaks to me. I don't have anything against him, he's never bullied me but he is friends with Louis.

And next to Louis is the love of my life, Harry Styles.

He has wavy brown hair, piercing green eyes, and the cutest smile you will ever see

He has wavy brown hair, piercing green eyes, and the cutest smile you will ever see. He's the centre Linebacker and Louis' best friend. I have had a crush on him since middle school, and each day I see him the pain gets worse. He also barely knows I exist.

"What are you looking at nerd?"
Louis shouted into my face.
"Nothing, I'm sorry" I stammered, picking up my books.

This was the first day of school and he's already made a fool of me in front of Harry.

Sighing, I turned to Liam where he looked at me with sad puppydog eyes
"It's okay y/n, just ignore it and he'll stop one day" he whispered.

"I can hear you, nerd!" Louis laughed tauntingly before a hand reached out to stop him. Niall?

"Hey dude, just stop." He sighed and I looked at him in awe. Never, in all my time in modest high did I expect one of the jocks to stand up for a boring nerd like me. Louis was shocked and turned to Niall in anger, but just before he could say anything, the love of my life (oh sorry, Harry Edward Styles) interrupted.

"Yeah man, she's really not worth it"

Wow. Louis sniggered before patting them both on the back and roughly shoving past Liam, knocking him back into the doors.

I felt like crying. The one person I've ever had a crush on just belittled me in front of the entire car park. Harry Styles. Ugh. In that moment, I vowed to never lay my eyes on him again. Call me dramatic, but I'd much rather listen to my favourite bands and sulk, than deal with something as stupid as love.

Little did I know, soon I would be stuck in the middle of something much stranger.