Abroad

"You realize you signed up for an environmental concerns study abroad trip, right?" Jack asks I wrestle with my wet suit. After much frustration, I'm finally able to zip up the skin-tight suit.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm just happy that I get to spend the day on a sunny beach in New Zealand and scuba diving in the Bay of Plenty."

Jack rolls his eyes, heading towards the boat. I also join the small group of 10 students on the beach, listening to Dr. Mitchell as he goes on and on and on about ocean pollution."The single-use plastics that our society uses to wrap foods and to store everything from household cleaners to personal care products end up in these very oceans. Today, you're going to see how you effect your environment."

With that, he hands the floor over to our scuba instructor who gives us a quick introduction about how to safely use our gear. Instead of listening, I stare into the distance, admiring the blue water. Atlantic City has got nothing on Auckland.

Our class climbs onto the boat, and once everyone's settled, we speed off into the distance. "It's really important that we all stay together so that no one gets lost. I know some of you have a fear of sharks, so if you stay near me, I'll make sure to scare them off," the instructor says with a smirk. A bunch of students laugh, Jack included.

Ten minutes later, the boat's engine shuts off , and the captain lowers an anchor into the sea. 

"Alright, folks, let's do this. Everyone jump in and make sure to take a net with you," Dr. Mitchell says, passing out large black nets to each student.

"What are these for?" I whisper to Jack as the professor jumps into the water.

Yet again, he rolls his eyes. "You'll see."

Shrugging, I put my mask on, swing my legs over the edge of the boat, and jump in. The cold, salty water shocks me, and my eyes flash open to see the underwater world. Pushing the air regulator to my lips, I gasp at the reality surrounding me.

There's trash everywhere. Potato chip bags, plastic film wrapping, and single-use cutlery clutter the turquoise waters. Vibrant-colored fish swim past the plastic as if nothing is wrong with this picture. Never did I expect to see so much waste in a single area, polluting a scene with such potential to be beautiful.

Someone taps me on the shoulder, and I look to see Jack swimming around me, rounding up a bunch of trash with his net. This time, I don't hesitate to participate. Instantly, I follow his lead and collect plastic alongside him.

It took that single day in New Zealand to help me realize that it takes little effort to negatively effect our environment but a good conscious to change the world for the better. If only everyone could see a polluted ocean in person, they would rethink using single-use plastic.