[03] AN ODD GIRL

AND SOMEHOW, after discovering a girl who only wore a large t-shirt, they ended up at the Wheeler's house.

With thunder rumbling outside, they stood and stared at the odd girl who sat on the couch in the living room, shivering with Mike's jacket draped over her shoulders.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asks, looking down at her. Eyes wide with concern.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin's eyes widen as well, concern lacing his voice.

"Did you run away?" Lucas adds.

The boys were bombarding the poor girl with questions.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike blurts out.

"Is that blood?" Lucas reaches out to touch her.

"Stop it! The girls clearly terrified!" Mariella snaps, smacking Lucas' arm with her right and both Mike and Dustin with her left. Before she leans down to the girls level.

"Do you need us to call anyone?" She asks slowly, as if she was talking to a child. The girl was unresponsive.

Mariella got up with furrowed brows, looking at Mike with her head tilted. Her eyes asking him what to do. He shrugs.

"I bet she's deaf!" Dustin exclaims then claps harshly causing the girl to back up and flinch.

"Hey! Quit it!" Mariella says to him, while hitting his arms down and rolling her eyes.

"Not deaf." Dustin finalizes.

"No shit!" Mariella responds before looking to the strange girl and smiling sweetly.

"Alright! I agree with Mars. She's just scared and cold!" Mike says, running off to a laundry bin to grab a towel.

"Took you a bit for you to realize that," Mariella laughs before a thrash of thunder sneaks up on them causing the seated girl to flinch, closing her eyes in fear.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," Mariella leans down again, putting her hand on the couch.

"Just some stupid thunder, it's fine. My dad always tells me it'll pass in a clap," Mariella adds, looking at the girl and smiling.

"I-In a clap?" The girl mimics as a question, tilting her head confused.

"Yeah! That just means it'll go away real soon. As fast as a clap!" Mariella laughs, clapping her hands gently causing the girl to smile and giggle at Mariella's actions.

The boys stood behind Mariella, watching intently. In just a few words, Mariella was able to get the shy girl to open up.

'She truly was a gem' Mike thought to himself as he watched her move her wet hair out of her face.

Shaking his thoughts away, telling himself she was only his best friend. Nothing more. He walks beside her, hands brushing lightly sending a surge through his body. Mariella would feel her cheeks warm up lightly, quickly disregarding it.

"Here, these are clean. Okay?" Mike speaks, handing the mysterious girl a pair of comfortable clothes before standing up from his leaning position and grabbing Mariella hand to help her up. She couldn't stop the light yelp that left through parted lips. Mariella could feel now, her cheeks were probably glowing red.

The strange girl accepts the clothing, pressing her cheek to it before standing back and attempting to take her shirt off.

"No! No! No!" The boys yell out. Mariella quickly stops the girl by catching at her hands in hers. Dustin and Lucas turn around. Dustin with his hands up yelling,
"Oh my God!" over and over.