Grandma's House

Adalynn Grace sits with her left hand relaxed on the arm of her favorite chair, her other hand holding a warm glass of tea with a drop of honey. She takes a small sip, sitting it down against her leg. She has been doing this every evening after supper, for she has been suffering from a nasty cold going on three weeks now.

She leans forward eyeing out the little window at her new flower garden. The blooms, once full of color, and leaves are all beginning to fade and fall to the ground. The first signs of frost began to appear last week.

"This is the first-time Grandma will miss the season's change." Adalynn's brow furrows deep with sorrow. A slender young woman with chestnut colored hair that flows past her bosom enters the room. The young woman saunters over and quickly kisses Adalynn on the cheek before speaking, "I'm sorry Ada, I know this must be hard on you," she said. Circling her fingers through Adalynn's hair, letting her ringlets twine and fall loosely away. Adalynn sits her tea cup on the table beside her, "It doesn't seem like she's been dead a few days, let alone three months now." She shakes her head before standing up, then picks up her cup, and starts to walk toward the kitchen, "come now Elisa we need to tidy up the dishes," Adalynn said to the young woman, who follows close behind.

They enter the kitchen and it's in full disarray, pots and pans strung about. The only thing not touched was her grandma's favorite china, tucked away in the cabinet, safe. "What could have made such a mess?" Adalynn questioned as her and her female companion, begin to tidy up the room.

"I don't know love, maybe a hungry animal," Elisa said with worry seeping into her face.

After completing the kitchen, they both were exhausted, so they go to bed early.

The next morning, they get up and everything is torn apart in the living room, "What the hell? Yesterday it was the kitchen," Adalynn said as she leans over to pick a portrait up off the ground, "This picture was taken of me and grandma fifteen years ago, when I used to visit during summer vacation." She smiles wide thinking of those memories.

She studied the room and thought for a second. "This is not by coincidence, it may be Grandma's way of telling us she is here," Adalynn said. She then garners enough courage to call out to her Grandmother to see what happens, "Grandma is it really you?" Adalynn listens intently.

The room is quiet, all you can hear is the ticking of the old clock, and then... "Who else would it be? This is still my damn house!" She hears her grandmother shout.

"I knew it. I knew there was life after death," Adalynn said as the tears stream down her cheeks.

She glances her head in the direction from which the voice came from.

"Of course there is baby girl. Don't cry love," her grandma said.