Ch.1 Jeremy

"How about you, Jeremy? Why don't you stand up and tell us about yourself," Mrs. Moca asks.

I stand hesitantly, not wanting to stand up in front of the class. Sure, we're only in first grade, but that doesn't mean I want to talk to these people.

"Hi, my name is Jeremy Heere. I like video games and fruit snacks," I say. I beg for this to end and, thankfully, it does.

"It's that time again, kids. Time to go outside and play! Get those wiggles out! Let's go," the teacher says, opening to door to outside.

I stay behind, not wanting to leave. It was getting closer to winter and though the other kids were all bundled up, I had forgotten my jacket at home.

"Are you going out, Jeremy?" asks the teacher. I shake my head and gesture to the fact I don't have a jacket. She nods and goes to her desk.

I sit at my desk and start doodling, coloring mindlessly with crayons. Then a gust of air burst into the room and I shivered.

I turned to look at the door and see a boy with brown hair and tan skin standing at the doorway, clutching a pair of glasses.

"Mrs. Moca, my glasses fell and broke," the boy exclaimed. Mrs. Moca stood and went over to him.

"Oh, Michael, do you have your backup glasses," Mrs. Moca asks the boy, Michael.

Michael shakes his head, "no, I forgot it at home."

I turn to my backpack and go through it. There should be a pair of glasses in here somewhere. I stole them from Jared, dad's friend.

I find them in a red case and pull it out. I rush over to the teacher and Michael and hold out the box.

"You need glasses," I ask the boy. He nods and I shove the glasses into his hand. "My dad's friend needed a new pair so I stole his old glasses!"

"Can I... keep them," asks Michael. I nod and Michael beams. He hugs me and declares, "you are my new best friend!"

"Yay," I yell at him, excited. "That's awesome!"

Mrs. Moca smiles at us and asks Michael, "do you have a jacket for Jeremy to use?"

Michael nods and runs off to his backpack. He pulls out a navy blue jacket and hands it to me. I put it on and Michael and I start to walk out to recess.

"I personally like red better," says Michael.

I nod and say, "I like blue. Like this jackets kind of blue!"

Michael laughs and I smile at him. I hug him again and tell him thanks for the jacket. He smiles and we became true friends.

Kindergarten is a wonderful year to make friends.