library

[Block Building] on the street next to a school runs hot and busy like every Saturday there ever was. For some reason the slow walkers on the burnt sidewalk move faster once they crawl up the single step and into the well air-conditioned [BOX]. Women drop off their books and old men with shaky hands return movies they borrowed about a week ago, just on time. Saturdays like every Saturday in this place students come bringing their procrastination, unfinished homework, and a dollar to use at the vending machine at the front. Perhaps this time some skittles will suit your fancy, ah but nevertheless the Dr.Pepper was chosen. The lights in the far corner of the audio books section are always quiet and private enough for thinking full thoughts.  It can be a scary place there, all alone staring at a wall that looks like the napkin underneath a soaked coffee cup. The space is warm but moist, there is probably mold growing somewhere between the insulation or a fungi forest beneath the couch. Squiggled and curvy, meant to lie down in and get bendier every time you do, yet comfortable. The light from the sun that bounces off the pavement and through the thin window catches the dust escaping from the yellowing pages of the books. The smell is rain with green apple, thats the only way to possibly describe it. Yummy smell of hazelnut coffee drifts through the air, invites the 10 o'clock book club to go to the Read and Feed brunch for some morning snacks and gossip about Brenda, her husband left her, or Kenny, her dog who ate her weed stash and had to get his stomach pumped. Little to do, lots to say. All parrots, no real pirates, all followers and petty little things incapable of real life come [here]. Societal rejects come feel the passiveness of  Everline, an over weight librarian forced to talk to them about books, or to maybe escape their sand paper life in a book of glitter butter. Joseph the janitor always sings opera down the ACT prep section that the occasional unfortunate teen walks through.