Chapter 1

I knew him.

I knew him.

I knew him.

The Soldier couldn't get those words out of his head. That blond hair and those blue eyes... Something about them seemed... Familiar? Did he imagine that scene in his head or was that real? He wasn't threatening despite the battles they've had. The man helped pull him from the wreckage then ceased to defend himself.

I'm with you till the end of the line.

Who was this guy?

The Soldier marched towards civilization knowing he needed to assimilate soon to keep his cover as just another ordinary civilian. He didn't want to go back underground.

He didn't want to ever go underground ever again.

His bionic arm was just screaming for unwanted attention and the red star was starting to feel more like a target. The Soldier's blood boiled when he remembered the simple red star HYDRA ingrained into his arm, a sign, a symbol, a brand for where he belonged.

He felt a strange sense of... Well he wasn't sure but the thought of "belonging" somewhere at this point didn't seem right. Nothing seemed right.

He ducked under some low branches and a jolt of pain surged through his right arm. He had nearly forgotten about his dislocated shoulder, he was focused on getting himself and Captain Steve Rogers out of the water that it hadn't given him much trouble. Then again most minor injuries like that don't give him much trouble, he merely needed to pop it back into place and it should completely heal itself within the hour.

Once he neared the city lines, he quickly devised a plan to become less conspicuous. He removed his leather jacket before carefully rotating his long sleeved compression shirt underneath so the one remaining sleeve concealed his metal arm to the best of its ability since there was still the issue of his metallic fingers peeking out from his fingerless gloves. It'll work for now, lower the number of heads turning as he walked down the street. He slung his leather jacket back on before crossing into the sight of the public with his hands deep in his pockets and head down.

Being out in public and not being assigned to destruction and assassination was not a feeling he was accommodated to. The chains of his former command still weighed heavy on his mind as he tried to think of the next proper course of action.

Mission: blend into society.

Phase one: seize civilian clothing.

Phase two: find place to bunker down.

Phase three: find place to refuel.

Simple enough; weather was favorable, tons of vacant buildings (not like that would ever stop him) and the population was dense enough he would be able to slip through streets with little attention drawn to him.

He wouldn't be able to stay long, both SHIELD and HYDRA would be crawling everywhere hunting for him. Then again, staying here wouldn't make any sense at all because they would suspect he would run. The Soldier had a secondary mission in mind after he established himself here: to find out who the hell "Bucky James Buchanan Barnes" is.

He didn't have to walk very far to begin seeing the red, white and blue shield everywhere. The Man's face was plastered around town. Had it always been this way? Curiosity got the best of him while he followed it down to the Smithsonian only to find there was an entire Captain America exhibit.

He caught sight of himself through the reflection of the glass doors. Shoulder length dark hair, tattered clothing, minor cuts and hair dripping wet still from the river. He never really looked himself before, there was no real reason for him to. When he was awake the doctors would tend to him, agents provided his gear and uniform that he’s been so accustomed to and when he wasn’t on a mission he would be prepped and frozen again.