Ii

●●●

I push my way through the crowd of people that were looking for seats. Many people had already sat down having their popcorn and cameras out and ready.

Just because a couple of things happend a few days ago, doesn't mean that I'm going to let it ruin most of my plans. At the end of the day I can't just focus on what had happend. This was life and I had to continue living it.

I found my way to the front with my backpack plasted on me. The room was pretty bright since no performers were out yet.

Today was competition day. Ms. Regans had pushed us all to get here early, but we were too late. All of the girls and boys were excited about what was going down. This had been our 1st competition since 6 months ago when our old dance teacher had to retire.

I had finally sat down and sat Ava's stuff on the seat beside me. I wouldn't be performing today, mostly because my body couldn't handle it. I was already in enough pain as it is and I didn't want it to catch up with me while I was on stage.

2 nights ago, the news was blistered with the church shooting and still was. Someone was able to capture some video from the Facebook LIVE to show on tv.

The lights had dimmed a little indicating that show time was about to start.

Ava's stuff was picked up and replaced by a distracting Dre. His legs were spread out wide as he showed off his true religion pants. His arms were cross as he seated.

Ms. Roland sat beside him, with her boyfriend next to her. I never got to properly meet him but from his looks he seemed confusing. He was around her height of 5'7, he was brownskinned with a mole on the left side of his face, followed by a couple of light freckles. His buzzcut was as bad as her wig so I figured they'd be perfect.

Instructors went up onto the stage tapping on the mic checking that it was working. The judges were all older and mature looking. Their faces were stiff but they smiled from now and then.

Dre eyed his mother's boyfriend as he spoke a few words into her ear. I could tell he was a little uncomfortable by the situation, but he was vulnerable and left it alone.

He turned his attention to me smiling wide, no teeth showing.

"What?" I snaked my head. I didn't like when people looked at me just to look at me.

"Control that neck," he said dropping his smile. "Can't a nigga be happy?"

I shrugged my shoulder and looked at his appearance. He had a fitted snow beanie on his head with a durag underneath it. Why boys did this was a clue to me. "Sorry, I'm just not up for it."

"You seen allat stuff on the news earlier?" He asked.

I nodded my head while putting my hair down from it's bun. I didn't wanna make people behind me angry cause they couldn't see the performance.

"Ah nigga thought you was bald." Dre touched my thick puffed hair that glided down a little past my bra strap.

I rolled my eyes at his ignorant comment. "Don't touch my hair." I hit his hand and he grabbed my wrist.

"Chill," he said letting it go lightly.

The lights had offialy went off and the 1st group had went on stage. Their performance was unexpected, they didn't hit us with a ballet or jazz, thry were up their being queens doing majorette.

When their performance finished, I found myself clapping with everyone else. Ms. Regans gave me the eye and I quickly sat back into my seat.

Dre's eyes were glued to his phone but he quickly put it away when he noticed his mother and her boyfriend wasn't there. He shook his head and put his arm around the seat.