🎄🎄🎄

'Twas the night before Christmas as I walked through the snow, not a goal in mind except not to go home, for while Christmas for others was a time of great cheer, in my house it was a very dreaded time of year.

While other nice families enjoy one another, in my little home, my mom and dad hate each other. They bicker and fight all day and all night, not even remembering which one was right.

As the cold winter air blew into my face, the only thing I wanted was to leave that awful place. I know what will happen if I walk through the door, I'll be caught in the middle of an all out war.

Guns will be fired and knives will be thrown. I'd rather be out here where I can be alone. So here's where I'll stay on these cold city streets while good little kids stay snuggled in their sheets.

I can see them now, destroying our home, so into the dark alleys I'm happy to roam. Mom throwing mantis hooks and dad throwing kicks while I look on helpless, what a bunch of--

"Chelsea, dinner!" mom's voice I can hear in a loud soothing tone that's calm in my ear. We eat our burned dinner in our trashed little home while Dad tells a story, his face made of stone.

Mom tries to smile and not reach for her sword, which is no easy task when Dad makes her bored.

Later that night they tuck me in bed with a warm glass of milk and a kiss on the head, for while the Wongs may not celebrate with presents and a tree, there's nothing wrong with doing things differently.

So while Mom and Dad hate each other, that fact I could see, the other fact is that they'll always love me.