Chapter 6

They reminded each other that there had been occasional radio bulletins, that a ring of steel had been placed round Whitehall and in the major cities. Heathrow and the big airports were surrounded by troops. Clandestine news sheets circulated. The Royal Family had gone to Balmoral at the invitation of the Scottish Government which had closed the border with England using Scots regiments redeployed north. In Ireland the civil war had erupted with sectarian ferocity. With tacit British consent the Irish government sent police and troops north to put the violence down and de facto Northern Ireland began the process of reunification with the south.

She said, "I've made a collection of some of the newssheets, and notices. I'll give them to him. He could make a little display."

"And ration books and my pass into Whitehall," Julius added.

"Enough," she said. "We must have a rest. Henry'll have to wait. Shall I get some food?"

"Did you bring the parsnips in and the leeks? We could braise them could we? Have we any fat?"

"I'll see. I got two eggs yesterday. Would you like one? I think we're due some power at six."

They were both tired out with the relentless efforts to survive, to accumulate enough to eat, wood to burn, and to remember when there would be power or sometimes enough gas pressure to cook and heat some water, if there was running water. They found themselves in a cold and deteriorating world in which nothing much worked and familiar shops were vandalised, and emptied. There was the constant threat of intimidation and robbery. The elite suburbs were nobody's friends.

Penny laid out some cutlery and plates for their supper, and brought over a large casserole dish. "I've got a bottle of wine left. It was fifteen pounds, I suppose it's about fifty now, or whatever in euros. Worth every cent." She put it on the table with a couple of glasses.

Julius slumped in his chair. "I hope you've kept the rest hidden." She opened it.

"I've made a sort of vegetable stew. Mrs Pierce found some stock cubes at the food bank. God knows where they came from. Anyway, she gave me a few. Bon appetit."

He helped himself. "Are we peasants now? One thing's certain the middle classes have been screwed."

There was a pounding on the street door. They both jumped. "Not again," she said. "I can't take anymore."

"I'll go." Julius stood up and went out. At the door he looked through the spyhole. "Is that you Henry?" he called.
"Yes. Let me in Grandpa."

"Are you alone?"

"Yes. It's safer now."