Poor Condition

Poor Condition:

        "I have something for you." He stealthily appeared behind her.

        “What is it?” Even if she was only filled with minor curiosity, she gave him her full attention.

        She regarded him in detail as she weighed the paper bundle in her hands. They both looked down.

        “Open it.”

        She tore off the wrapping, ribbon and all.

        It was a book. Their book, but there was something different about it. Something new. It laid untouched by the world except for a few special individuals: the printing machine, the stock clerk, him, the cashier, the wrapping paper, and now her.

        “Do you like it?”

        It was a cheap imitation of the one they grew in love with.

        She didn’t know what to tell him. The words didn’t sound right in her mouth, so she swallowed it back down and held it under lock and key in the dungeons of her fantasy.

        “Yes, but I want you to return it.”

        The words came crashing out. His world came crashing down.

        He spluttered. He did not understand. “Why?” As he asked her this, he truly wondered if he could take it back. Rewind the tape so that she would not be upset. He hated seeing her upset. “But I thought you love it.” He tried reasoning with himself but couldn’t.

        She held it loosely in her hands. “It’s the best thing you could have gotten me.” She offered it to the space between them, settling it on the imaginary boundary that rocked them apart. “But I don’t want it.”

        The book severed their circle into two. Nobody wanted it.

        “You can’t just not accept it.” He wondered where he went so wrong.

        “Yes I can. I want our book to be special. If I have this, then where would we go? Do you see?”

        He did see. He saw all too well. She was right. She was his.

        “If it makes you happy, I’ll return it.”

        “Good.” She offered him a smile. She always offered him smiles when she was happy.

        “Although, the salesperson might not be too happy with me. She’d probably think I was turning her store into a public library.”

        She smiled again. “Now that’s your problem.”

        Danger shone in his eyes as she ignited the fire with matchsticks and words. Only books could fuel such flames. “Then I’ll just have to redeem myself, won’t I?”

        “Oh yeah?”

        He pushed. “Yeah.”

        She had to get away. The rapid beating of her pulse chilled her adrenaline motionless as if she was stuck at the highest point of a rollercoaster, within seconds of being airborne. Only gravity could drag her down.

        He had reached a new velocity that could not be good for her, pulling her in like static on skin right after lightning struck. The thunder soon followed.

        Her legs were caught by the thorns of the couch. She had exhausted all her steps.

        “You’re not getting away that easily.” The playful glint spread across the room like burning gasoline. So saturated with promises that it filled her nose and latched onto her veins, constricting her circulation. The sacred space of air between them was gone, leaving her with nothing to shield herself.

        He heard a strangled tremor as he tackled her onto the couch, peppering her with promises that were yet to be fulfilled.

        He knew now, more than ever, that he wanted her to be the last he saw and the first he’d say hello to. He wanted her the way he never wanted anyone else before. No book could prepared him for what was yet to come for their story was still being written, and he couldn’t wait to read on.

        If there was one thing he was sure about, it would be coming home to her.

__________

August 22, 2014