Alexia

Why am I here? I look around the room which was slowly turning grey; a classroom full of desks, walls filled with quotes and art, a whiteboard filled with words... words of encouragement as exams are soon, a clock ticking slowly, 11:58. I hear chatter by the classmates all around me and I could feel their stares, stares of pity, of concern. The gossip I do not want to hear, I take out my earphones from my pocket and stuff them in my ears, dubstep starts to play as I fiddle with my mp3 player, I don't want to be here. I head off to the park where no one comes to, my outdoor haven. The peaceful silence under a cool and clear summer day calms me as I lay on a tree leaning close to the ground. I stare at the clear blue sky while fiddling with the dangling headphones hanging from my pocket. I close my eyes and take a deep breath and everything fades into nothing.

I wake up under the sky filled with the vibrant colours of the setting sun. "Finally awake now?" a voice said beside me, a male voice, a familiar voice, a friends voice. I look to the direction of the voice to confirm if the voice was really 'his', it was, that concerned look on his face irritated me but he noticed and changed into his normal joking look; that optimistic and naive look, the look I was comforted with. "So sis, you slept here since lunch didn't you?"

"How did you kn-"

"I knew you would come here" I forgot, I brought him here before, but he rarely leaves the school I thought he forgot. "So why so glum?" he asked in a sarcastic tone but I knew he was serious. "Nothing" I replied

"B.S"

"Fine I failed my test"

"B.S"

"Broke up with my-"

"B.S, we could go on for days but it's cold and I need to get home"

"Then just go home"

"No"

"Why?"

"Because I love you and I am deeply concerned for you" he said in a painfully sarcastic tone, I glared at him, "Okay you know what I mean!" he gently ran his fingers through my hair.

"Can we talk about this later?"

"No, your not going to... and I might forget"

"Are you going to be annoying"

"Yes"

I take a deep breath and sit up to face him and gave a soft but quick kick to the chest then pushed myself off the tree onto the ground. "Let's just go to my house" I suggested and he followed. When we were on the sidewalk we began to talk;

"I might not be able to go to come back by the start of next school year"

"Yeah I can see that, but why are you still going to school? isn't your body getting weaker?"

"Yeah, but it might be my last chance to hang out with you guys"

"A few days in the hospital won't hurt" how can he be this dumb?, "okay I'm not that dumb! I can see it in your face but I don't know what problem you even have!"

"Because I didn't want anyone to know"

"Then you should have not come to school, you look so pale you might as well be paper"

"Shut up! I just wanted to have the most I can get"

"What percent?"

"What?"

"If you are having to get a surgery for whatever you have, what percent of success did they tell you?" I bit my lip, " tell me" I started to walk faster and he kept staying right beside me "tell me what percent" he grabbed my arm and we stopped where we were.

"less than 50" I murmured

"What?" I felt the tears start to fall

"less than 50" I said louder but my voice began to shake. He hugged me "How many days if not?" he whispered to my ear, "A month at most" the tears began to flow faster and my heart beats violently. He hugged me until everything was calm and we walked to my place without saying another word.