Chapter One

Thomas's PoV

It had been about a year since we got to the safe haven in which we call Utopia, with WICKED on edge about desperately trying to find us, we had time to set up defence, huts were made for living in, we had hunting huts, fishing huts, medical huts, the mess-hall, blacksmith etc, we had our own little man-made village.

My favourite place to sit was beside the rock, facing the ocean, with the names that covered the hard material it was a sentimental statement to my heart, along with the ornament that permanently sits around my neck on a length string.

Those who died are remembered everyday, candles lit by the alter up the hill in their name, Alby, Ben, Chuck... Teresa.. each giving something towards our escape of captivity. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with me, I must have some sort of PTSD, I'm pretty sure everyone does, I definitely have paranoia, always worrying about what will happen if WICKED find us, the amount of people that'll die, people being split from their loved ones, Its all I think about when I'm alone.

~~~~~~~~present~~~~~~~~

"Thomas!" Looking to the side at Newt who's fighting a crank native of the island, I shoot it in The head immediately, walking through the village in a crouched position, I hold my glock high the air, my eyes wide and my longish hair blowing in the wind "We have civilians over here!" I hear Minho shout, sprinting towards him I stop in the building, my gun pointed at the four that are sat on the floor "Who are you" I say sternly, the four of them wincing as they move back slightly I clench my jaw "Were natives...!" The older male shouts back, glaring at him I point my gun at him "Get up!" Jorge shouts as the four stand, the smaller male tries to take Newt's gun, kicking his leg from underneath him, he hits me in the face with a rock as he falls, blood dripping down the side of my eye, Brenda and the others arrive as I point my gun at the Male "You can't capture us!" He shouts, grabbing his shirt I inhale slightly "We have a village. We were saving you." I retaliate, dropping him I walk past the others, running my hand through my hair as I walk towards the truck.

Reloading my gun, I lean against the truck as i wait for the others to finish up, I glance up at Brenda who's walking towards me, her weapon pointed to the ground, a box trailing her by a rope "Found some new weapons" She chirps as she comes to a halt a few feet In front of me "Great" I hum as I put my gun down I walk towards the box, pulling the lid off, I pick the Assault rifle up "You need a hair cut" she murmurs, looking up at her I move my hair to the side "I guess" I reply as I lift me box I drop it in the back of the truck, glancing over to the others who are walking towards the other trucks, I climb in the drivers side, helping Brenda into the passenger, I start the engine before speeding off back towards the village.

Sitting in front of Sonya as she cuts my hair I look up at Minho, Newt, gally and Frypan as they walk towards me, they laugh "Getting a hair cut tommy?" Newt chirps as he pats my shoulder, Harriet, Brenda and Aris sat on the makeshift couch, I smile "Was getting too long" I reply, as Sonya finishes off cutting I shake my head as I stand "Thanks Sonya" I hum, looking in the mirror, Minho runs his hand through my hair "Looking normal now Thomas" he chuckles, scoffing I grab my jacket "Normal? Thomas?" Gally teases, following them towards the mess-hall to prepare dinner I stretch.

Dropping the meat into the pan, Fry cuts up the vegetables as I stir the meat around, Vince walks in "Smells good, how long?" He asks, looking up I look to fry "about half an hour" he shrugs, nodding as Gally mixes the sauce, Minho stirs another frying pan of meat "okay" Vince hums as he walks back out, Gally walks over and pours the sauce into the pan as Frypan tips the vegetables in "Spaghetti Bolognese, haven't had this since I was young" Minho chirps, laughing, Newt stirs the pot of Spaghetti "This is gonna be good! You guys can go, me and Gally will dish it up" Frypan says, nodding I pull my apron off as I exit the kitchen with Minho and Newt, they nudge each other playfully as they walk out of the mess-Hall beside me.

"Hey what's going on here?" Newt asks as we walk on to the beach, A few of the villagers, Brenda, Sonya, Harriet and the others stood playing volleyball "Volleyball, or at least were trying to, were not very clear on how the game is played" Aris laughs as he hits the ball to up, Sonya hits it with the palm of her hand, walking over I sit beside Brenda who looks at me with a smile.

Eating quietly as the table I'm sat on, the guys and girls talking about upcoming events, such as the one year anniversary party of the village, I rest my jaw on the palm of my hand as I stare at the wall, someone comes into my view as they sit in front of me I shake my head "Thomas, you okay?" Cocking an eyebrow at Jorge I nod "yeah, I'm fine" I murmur, watching him nod he smiles and begins to eat.

Sitting behind the rock, I fiddle with the ornament chuck had given me, letting my head fall back as I stare into the ocean, flashbacks of my time in the glade and in the deserts, everyone's death snapping through my mind like a slideshow, I jolt up as someone walks up to me, looking up at Brenda she smiles as she sits beside me "You looked like you were lost" she laughs, nodding I tuck the ornament into my pocket discreetly "When am I not?" I respond, watching her laugh she nods "That's a fair point" she hums as she points at me, looking down at my hands I clench my jaw "Do you ever think we could've done it differently?" I ask, watching as she looks at me with a cocked eyebrow she shakes her head "There's nothing we could've done differently that didn't result in more deaths" she says after a moments hesitation, nodding slightly I swallow a lump in my throat, looking up when she puts her hand on my she smiles slightly "You saved many lives Thomas, so did the others" she murmurs, smiling I nod-

"Thanks Brenda"