Prologue

Dear Mr Tomlinson,

As you are aware, after some devastating events we are at an extreme shortage of males, which is threatening for the entire existence of humanity. We’ve been working for years to stabilize the situation, and some very delicate procedures must go forth to make sure that the human race is not wiped out entirely.

It has recently come the time where upon we take this generation’s young men to match them with scientifically suitable wives so you are able to begin producing offspring at once. We are not, of course, in any position to force things upon you so harshly, so there is some choice in the matter.

Every generation we research and find ten good matches for each man, and then let them choose which woman they prefer best. To choose who you would ultimately like to spend the rest of your life with, you will go through a series of activities, tasks and events with each girl, and at the end of it all you will hopefully have an idea of which one you are most compatible with.

If you fear this will be an arranged, loveless marriage then there is simply nothing we can do about it. The law is the law, and we absolutely cannot have our species go extinct. I can, however assure you that 82% of the matches that have been chosen have resulted in romance. The other 18% were quite friendly, platonic and amiable relationships.

Mr Tomlinson, the world is depending on you (also around twenty five other men, but I digress).

You must come to the enclosed address in two weeks time to begin the matchmaking process to find your wife, and bring the required clothing, etc for a month long stay.

 During the process you will be staying in the same house as the rest of the men, while the women will be staying in a separate house. You will be sharing your room with four other young men such as yourself - Mr Horan, Mr Payne, Mr Malik, and Mr Styles.

We hope you find your true love.

Sincerely,

Sarah Cowell