Chapter 1 ❥ Not Enchanted to Meet You

"Winter!" my mother screeched at me from downstairs. "Get your ass down here and help me get the food ready for tonight!" I rolled my eyes. God, what a drama queen.

I forced myself off the couch, groaning as I did so and turned off the television. So much effort, I thought as I trudged down the staircase, and all for the new next-door neighbors.

I hadn't met them yet, but I was already irritated at them. My mom had gone completely ape with stress trying to impress them with her non-existent cooking skills. Apparently they were coming over tonight for a welcome party, along with the rest of the neighborhood.

"I'm here, I'm here," I announced as I enter the kitchen. Immediately, I covered my mouth, trying hard not to burst out laughing at my mom. She was standing in front of the oven, and was literally covered in flour from head to toe.

See, this is what happens when you leave my mother alone in the kitchen for longer than an hour- an absolute mess. Imagine if mom tried out for one of those celebrity chef shows? I snorted unattractively at the unrealistic thought, before looking at mom sympathetically. She looked at me through narrowed eyes. Usually this would look scary, but she's covered in flour so I can't take her seriously.

"Mom, go take a rest. You've been here for hours." I looked at her and I was kind of worried. She's always stressed out and doesn't get any sleep ever since my father, no, sperm donor left us for some skanky blonde chick.

Ugh, what a loser. I hate him for making my mom like this, he's ruined her.

"Thank you so much, honey." She said tiredly and offered me a weak smile. "By the way, where's your brother?" I scowled when she mentioned him.

Kale, my eight year old younger brother had been constantly pranking me all week. He and his best friend Lucas, who also happened to be my best friend's little brother were having a prank war. Unfortunately it wasn't between them. The war was called, 'Who can play the most pranks on their older sister?' Hope and I were not amused.

"Probably devising his next evil plan," I growled, getting pissed off at the mere thought of him thinking he was smarter than me. I laughed maniacally in my mind. He had no idea what was going to hit him.

"What was that sweetie?" Mom asked me.

"Nothing," I replied quickly, a plan forming in my mind. She looked at me suspiciously, raising her floured eyebrows at me.

"Okay... I'm going to leave now." She said slowly. "Wake me up an hour before the welcome party."

"Sure," I replied. She gave me one last look before going upstairs. I walked over to the sink and groaned when I saw the absolute mess that mom's created. I sighed. It looks like a freaking tornado hit the kitchen.

I saw some marshmallows on the bench and snatched them up. I stuffed a few in my mouth and hoped for them to give me some energy to make appetizers and desserts for the party. Thank God other people from our street were bringing food in too; otherwise I'd have my work cut out for me.

~.~.~.~

I dusted my hands on my jeans and looked at the finished product in satisfaction. I had set out all the food on the dinner table nicely; I even placed some flowers in a vase as a centerpiece.

I looked at my watch to check the time and see that there was an hour and a half left until the party, so I had some time to kill. Taking this as my opportunity to start scheming with Hope, I ran up the stairs to my bedroom.

I looked warily at my dump of a room as I tried to locate where my phone was. I should probably clean up my room soon. After five minutes of searching I finally found my phone... on top of my brother's dirty underwear.