Part 3/3

The snowfall is steady the rest of the drive to Oklahoma, and Killian tries to sleep, but his attempts are futile. He can't stop thinking about the kiss that almost happened between them. He's disappointed if he's being honest with himself, but Emma is probably right. The two of them starting something romantic is probably a bad idea. Probably.

It's almost midnight when they reach the two-story farmhouse, soft lights glowing from the windows and above the porch when they pull up behind David's truck in the driveway. Emma cuts off the engine, sleepiness clouding her beautiful features as they get out of the car. She tugs on her beanie, pulling it further over her head before clasping her glove covered hands together as the frigid air sweeps over them. Killian can see her shivering as he closes the passenger door, and all he can think about is how he wishes he could pull her in his arms again, to warm her up.

"Emma!" they hear Ruth call out. "Killian!"

They head down the shoveled sidewalk which leads to the front door, so Ruth won't come out to greet them in her slippers. She pulls Emma into a warm hug, brushing the snow that had fallen in the golden curls splayed over her shoulders.

"It took you so long. We were all worried."

"I know, we got caught in a bit of a snow storm, but we didn't want to worry anyone," Emma explains simply, not wanting to go into much detail.

A concerned expression washes over her face as she cups Emma's cold cheeks in the warmness of her hands. "Oh, I'm so glad you made it here safely." She moves to Killian, opening her arms and pulling him into her warm embrace.

"Merry Christmas, Ruth," he says, wrapping his arms around her.

"Merry Christmas to both of you," she replies and when she pulls away, a big smile crosses her face. "I'm so glad you two are finally together, you are both perfect for each other."

Emma's cheeks color with red, along with Killian's, but it's not from the bracing, winter air, and they exchange rueful smiles as Ruth turns around to open the door for them.

~*~

The house is warm, comfortably quiet and smells of hot chocolate and cookies. In spite of the late hour, the lights are all lit and the fire is crackling in the fireplace. On the tree, handmade ornaments David and Emma had made when they were younger are scattered among the tinsel and the twinkle lights.

Emma lets out a soft sigh, relieved to be home. As much as she didn't want to come at first, she's glad she made the trip.

"Would you both like some hot chocolate and Christmas cookies?" Ruth asks them, and as amazing as they sound, she really wants to sleep in a warm bed.

"We would love some, but we should really get some sleep, it's been a long day," Emma replies with a warm smile because after studying Killian's face and recognizing the weariness engraved in the lines of his forehead and the sleepiness in his eyes, she knows he feels exactly the same way. She also knows that sleeping in a car while sitting upright is not very restful.

"Oh, but you both must be hungry from being on the road for so long."

"We stopped for dinner a couple of hours ago," Killian assures her.

Ruth waves her hand, urging them to follow her into the kitchen. "Then you should have plenty of room in your bellies for cookies and cocoa."

"Okay," Emma laughs, both she and Killian relenting. A hot cup of cocoa with whip cream and cinnamon and some of Ruth's sugar cookies with delicious frosting and sprinkles does sound amazing.

Ruth leads them into the kitchen where David, Mary Margaret, Liam and Elsa are sitting on stools around the island counter, sipping on cocoa and chatting quietly, so as not to wake the little ones upstairs sleeping.