Part 1

New Amsterdam Fanfiction
No One But You
Chapter 1
Max had just recovered from his exhaustion and he was still determined to do the clinical trials against Helen's advice. He respected her opinion but Georgia was okay with it and that's all that mattered. Georgia never challenged him. She'd always been amiable and that's what Max loved about her. But sometimes she'd suffer in silence until she could bear it no more. Twice their marriage had almost ended cos Max liked to have his way and often for the greater good , he sometimes put his wife's feelings on the backburner.
Helen on the other hand got him thinking. She was always  up for a challenge and he silently enjoyed their bickering and difference of opinions . She was definitely his closest friend at New Amsterdam. Now once again she came to the rescue soughting out the leading throat and cancer specialist in New York City. Dr. Desi Pathaki.

"In here Max", Helen called out.
"I would like to introduce you to Dr Desi. We will be handling your case in tandem."
"Hi I heard so many great things about you. So good to see someone finally making a difference at New Amsterdam", Desi offered.
"Helen has a tendency to exaggerate about my perfection", Max exclaimed searching for one of his bad jokes but nothing came to mind.
"Well we are going to kick cancer's butt", Desi said with a perfect smile.
He was extremely handsome Max thought.
Helen smiled too. He had never seen her smile that way. She had shared some smiles with him but she seemed rather giddy today. Well Desi was definitely a looker. But he cautioned himself. He was imagining things and why should he even care. He was fighting the biggest battle of his life.
But she was giddy. He had a sort of sixth sense when it came to Helen. She was supposed the James Bond villain who was going to ensure Desi took care of him. He enjoyed her worrying over him despite his better judgement. She was the most intriguing person he had ever met.

For like an eternity the three of them discussed extensively Max's treatment plan. It was decided once a week on Wednesday,Max and Helen would visit Desi's clinic.
" Let me walk you to your car,"Max offered. Helen blushed as if she had just got her hand caught in the cookie jar.
"That won't be necessary. Desi and I are going to see Maxwell in concert."
"Oh".
"Well last week I missed the Lauryn Hill concert cos I needed to be sure you were okay. And he's quite persistent and I love 90s r & b music."
"You don't need to explain to me Helen." "I'm glad you're putting yourself out there again. I'm sure it's what Mohammed would want".
"Max it's a date we're not official or anything"
"Is it awkward, I mean your two doctors going to a concert", Helen asked looking into his big blue saucers. She loved how warm his eyes always were and whenever she sensed a hint of fear , confusion or any emotion she asked right away cos Max usually had things under control.

"No i mean it's pretty much an incestuous relationship considering you guys are my doctors but no have fun. It's good to see you smile."
He finally came up with a joke.
"Max you bother me so much", she said laughing and playfully hitting his arm.
"Good", he smiled walking away.
"Max"
He turned to look at her small frame.
"We are going to beat this, focus on Luna. All the good times you're gonna spend with your daughter. It works."
"Thanks", he said choking back tears.
Helen must have noticed because she hugged him tightly for like an eternity and Desi's voice broke the trance they were in.
"Everything okay"
"Yes have fun guys. See you tomorrow Helen and you next week".
Desi was startled at how close Helen appeared to be to her boss but he'd keep it to himself. Cancer makes people vulnerable.

Chapter 2
It had been one month since Max has started his treatment. He was able to still run the hospital and build a custom made nursery for Luna. He was proud of himself . But much to his chagrin the cancer was shrinking at a slower rate than Desi and Helen had anticipated. Chemotherapy would have been aggressive in eradicating the cancer but he preferred this option. New Amsterdam needed him, Georgia needed him and Luna would be here i n two months. He wanted his face to be the first face  she saw. He didn't believe in reincarnation but in  the back of his mind he felt his sister Luna was Luna, his unborn daughter. This was their chance to continue the Max and Luna story.