Seventeen: Soaring Spirit

It was almost time. What everyone hoped would be the final match, was fast approaching.
Jim sat in the tent quietly contemplating the plan they had agreed on, and his life as well. He didn't want it to end here. Now that he had found Iris, there was so much more he wanted to do with his life. He gently caressed Iris' hair while she lay there still unconscious. The color of her skin had already changed and spread more in just the few hours it took them to gather a team that would go after Barlow.
"Don't give up on me now," Jim whispered and leaned in to kiss Iris' semi-cold forehead. To think there was a chance he'd never see those beautiful eyes again...was terrifying.
Lee stepped into the tent and stood a few feet away from Jim. He stared at him for a few seconds before saying, "Even if we get Iris' crystal back and kill Barlow, she must stay here. This is her home and next in line to take charge of our village."
Jim let out a small sigh that he had been holding in and pulled his gaze away from Iris and stared at Lee. "Is there something important you need to tell me, or did you just come here to shove my mistakes in my face?"
Lee made no comment on this and sat down across from Jim, sitting on the other side of Iris. "If you think Iris will leave this place with you, then you're wrong. She has to stay here. And even though you have soiled her body, I will still be the one she calls her husband--her mate."
Jim grabbed Lee by the tribal necklaces around his neck and pulled him close. "Get out," Jim let go of Lee and pushed him back.
Lee scoffed. "I want the best for Iris, just like you, and what I'm telling you is the truth." He stood up and checked his necklaces to make sure none of them were broken or out of place. "We are leaving soon, so you better get your mind together." Lee left Jim to wallow quietly in his thoughts again.

After much to consider, Jim made his way to his crew and teammates. They were all waiting for him and ready with weapons in their hands.
"Are you ready?" Kate asked, but Jim knew what she really meant by that: are you okay?
Jim gave her one nod. "Let's go, everyone." Of course Jim wasn't okay, but he had to be strong, brave, and collected. There were many times where Jim wanted to give up, stop fighting, but he couldn't do that. He was captain, he was Jim Hawkins, and so many people looked up to him. But he was also human and with that came uncontrolled spurts of feelings. Maybe someday he would be able to express those feelings to someone who cared, but for now he would have to hold it in.

Deep in the forest--the jungle, Barlow and his men walked. They were in just as much in a heap of trouble as everyone else, only difference: they were the cause of everyone's sorrows and their own.
They found a quiet place to sit and rest and mend their wounds while Barlow, their infamous leader, thought of a plan. He knew Jim and his men would be coming after them soon if not already. There was little time to focus on the matter at hand. Barlow wanted to take what they could get and get the hell off this planet.
It was such a small planet, but one that was so beautiful and full of treasure. Barlow needed to take what he could get and escape on the only ship still standing, which was on the other side of the island.
Finally, Barlow admitted to being lost, and with the handful of men he had left, he knew this would be difficult--but not impossible.
"Hurry up, men. We don't have much time left." He said this as he reached in his pocket and pulled out Iris' crystal. He held it up to get a better look at it and marvled at how the light from the sun reflected off of it from the cracks leaves and branches. So beautiful, he thought. This one crystal would set him up for months, maybe even years.

Just then one of the men groaned in pain and fell over as an arrow shot him in the chest.
"At the ready, men!" Barlow yelled as he knew Jim and his crew were already here.
Arrows came left and right, striking each and every one of Barlow's men dead. But they got smart and took shelter behind trees and giant boulders and even logs.
More arrows whistled through the air but when they were unable to penetrate another one of Barlow's men, they stopped.
Footsteps could be heard getting closer all around them and that's when the real fighting began. The tribes people and Jim and Kate with their crew, attacked all at once as they slowly crept up behind the enemy.
Another bloodbath ensued as screams from both sides cried out. Instead of earthly colors surrounding them, there was now a compiling color of red--blood--staining the trees, grass, and dirt.
With little time to react to the chaos happening all around him, Barlow saw his chances of getting out of here dwindling.