Introduction

Dec.27 2017

I was in a car accident on December 14th around 10:30 am

Marta, Ray, and I were driving south on highway 71, about fifteen minutes outside Bemidji. I was behind a dump truck that was going 40 mph and decided to pass him. When we were moving back into the right lane we spun out of control. The car slid into oncoming traffic. The vehicle that hit us was going about 50 mph, for him it was head on, but he hit us on the front passenger side corner.

Dec.28 2017

I haven't been sleeping well.

It started with me laying, trying to sleep for three hours. Now I stay awake until I think I will truly be able to fall asleep in a timely manner. I have been falling asleep somewhere between 2 and 3am.... When I am awake late like this, I have been feeling the need to go for a run, but I can't [physically can't].

Jan. 2 2018

Here is attempt number 2 to write out the day of the accident:

[I will leave out what you already read]. I don't remember being hit, I don't remember the impact. The next thing I remember was seeing Marta standing in front of the car, I didn't see the severely cracked windshield. She was on the phone, began to cry, and crouched down. My jacket, which I put behind me once I got in the car, was on my body like a blanket.

I then looked to my right and saw Ray. Blood was dripping down his face, a paramedic was using her hands to hold his head back against the seat. She was talking to him, trying to keep him conscious, he wasn't very responsive. (At this point I could remember nothing at all. I had no memory of the precious days in the week, or that morning, or how I ended up in a ditch. Everything felt like a dream). I put my hand on Ray's knee and tapped him while saying his name. I knew it was important to try to help the paramedic, but I didn't know that he was unconscious, he was just sitting there. The world was hazy.

I'm sure I was ushered out of the car, but I don't remember. All I know is I scooped up my purse and jacket from my lap, then I was in an ambulance sitting next to Marta and her boyfriend. Marta had just gotten off the phone and offered it to me, so I could call my mom. I thought that was a really smart thing to do, it hadn't occurred to me. So, I took out my phone.

The next thing I remember is I was in another ambulance. The EMT I was with was named Allison, she put an IV prep in my arm.

Once in the Sanford hospital, two nurses undressed me and put me into a gown. They started to wipe at a spot on my head, and my neck. It was then that I was informed I had an inch long cut above my right ear that had been bleeding down my neck.

I was wheeled to get an x-ray. They took scans from my head to my pelvis, looking for internal bleeding.

Back in my room I called my ex-boyfriend, Cody [who broke up with me exactly two weeks before this happened].

The sheriff came in to get my statement.

After he left, I was texting my mom who was now an hour into her trip to Bemidji from the twin cities. My x-ray results came back, I called my mom, so she could hear too. I was told that my left lung was collapsed 10% and I had 2 fractured vertebrae in my lower back parallel to the top of my hip bone [L4 and L5].

Cody stayed until my mom and her partner, Kelley, arrived, roughly 5 hours after I was brought into the hospital