1

I ran, it was all I could do but I loved it. I felt so free.. like I could touch the clouds by just jumping a little higher. Is this what freedom really felt like? It's all I knew. I felt bad for the horses who were caught and put in cages by the government until some of them could get sold. I felt bad for the horses who were sent to the kill pen, I even felt bad for some of the horses in hunter jumper barns who weren't given enough attention and were oblivious to this feeling... freedom. I've been alone most of my life, since I was 4. Im 9 now. When I was 4 lost my parents. I remember it clearly..

The helicopters surrounded us, a deep sinking feeling in my chest. We tried to run, but the nets had caught my little sister, my older brother, my mom, and my dad. I tried running and not looking back, but I hear the snorting and loud noises coming from my family. I ran to the top of the hill, looking down. They were all in cage-like nets except my dad. He was on the ground, lifeless. I ran, like a coward. I didn't know where to go, so I kept going until I couldn't anymore. They were all gone, and I was alone. With no one.

But we can't be sad over something that happened 5 years ago. I'm okay now, physically at least, and I'm quite happy. Anyways, back to present day. It was a little breezy but I loved it, the wind flowing through my mane. My hooves stomped into the ground as I pushed myself forward.

I felt as if I had nothing to fear, though being out in the wild I did. The helicopters could come take me to, anyone could. I could get sent to a kill pen or taken to a barn where I have to work non-stop for 3 hours every day and then afterwards get no attention. I wasn't scared of loneliness, I've lived being lonely for 5 years of my life. It wasn't that, no. I was scared of losing everything I have now. It might not seem like I have much, but I have plenty. I have the wild. I'm free.

I came to a stop, peering over the shore and staring out into the blank sea. I crossed a huge wooden bridge and found myself at some human ran building called "The Wolf Hall Inn". To me it was just a big lice infested shack, some human bogus. I trotted off through the woods, a light green hue surrounding me. I kept going until I reached the shore once more. "Hi yes, I've spotted a horse on seahorse shores, no owner no tack no nothing. I was wondering if you could get here asap to pick it up? I wouldn't want it getting hurt or anything out here on this side of town." I hear faintly in the distance. I turned my head to see an older lady with a phone to her ear. Animal control. Once again, I was running. over the concrete and through the hard, loose dirt trail that led to the city. I slammed on the breaks, my hooves taking a beating from the concrete. I climbed up the stairs and ran. Darting through people, water fountains and various different stores with bright colors lining their windows. I ran blind into Jorvik Stables, passing all the other horses who were subject to the torture of humans. Before I know it, I was sliding to a stop, avoiding running over a small girl with blonde hair. "Woah, easy boy easy" I reared up, trying to scare her into letting me passed. I turned my head, I couldn't go the other way but I didn't want to hurt her. "You're okay, I'm not going to hurt you." Thats what they all say. I turned my head once more, only to see a large with van hooked up to a small white horse trainer with red and blue stripes down the side and a sticker on the truck which read 'Animal Control'. "Is this your horse mam?" A man with a large brown beard asked, stepping out of the truck with a bride red rope with a whole bunch of holes that made no sense to me. "Yes he Is, I apologize." She said. It made no sense to me, I had never met this girl in my life. She walked over to the wall, grabbing another black rope shaped like the red one. This was my chance to run, but something was stopping me. I was panicked. She walked up to me with confidence and I froze. She put the rope over my head and buckled it so that it wouldn't come off. 

Now I, was in the same place that I had hoped I would never end up.