Summer and Autumn

Summer and Autumn sat side by side next to a pool over grown with algae. Each drank a glass of brown spiked ice tea.

Summer took hers with lemon, but put the rind next to the glass. Autumn drowned her ice tea in sugar to mask the alcohol. Summer wore dark sunglasses to block the sun. Autumn used a wide brimmed hat.

There had been an awkward silence for several minutes before Summer spoke up.

"So are you still seeing..."

"No. It didn't work out. Because of-you know," she added. Autumn cast her eyes down in shame. She was a comely woman that was unable to find a man. She knew why.

"He doesn't deserve you two if he can't see how wonderful you guys are."

"Thank you. I don't regret it by the way. Joseph is a blessing. He is my absolute world." Her face shone with pride that was not reflected in her visitor's face. "Do you regret it?"

Summer nodded, "Every time I visit."

"He is happy. We are happy," Autumn reminded.

"I know. I'm so grateful to you. It wasn't right putting him through... well-what I was putting him through. You've made a lovely life for yourselves." Summer looked at the quaint house in the small suburban town. She recalled moments of their childhood much like this. Summer was never meant to be a mother. She wasn't good at it like Autumn.

She shivered at the memory of little Joseph in a dresser drawer. Her apartment had been sparse. Food had been difficult to get. She loved Joseph, yet she couldn't keep him. Autumn had just finished college and was starting life. She agreed to take him. It was a blessing and a hell. One she relived annually on her visits.

"How have you been?" Autumn asked.

"Good. Work has been great. We've been mentioned in Time, so orders have picked up significantly. I'm considering expanding," Summer brightened thinking about the company she worked hard to build.

Autumn smiled at Summer's success. Her own job paid the bills but gave her no satisfaction.

"Do you want to stay around? Joseph gets off the bus in a little while."

"No. I don't want to be here for that. You guys are fine, right?"

"Yes, yes. We are fine."

"I'll get going. I'll put your check here," Summer set the paper on the table between them. She hid a tear under her sunglasses.

Summer and Autumn shared a stiff embrace before Summer shuffled off to catch her flight.

Autumn sat back down. She looked at the check. It was more than she expected. Guilt seeped into her bones at realizing of how much she needed the money. She was close to loosing the house.

Summer would never understand her sacrifices. Autumn struggled more than financially. She struggled emotionally. For Joseph she had given up her dreams, her childhood, herself.

The bus pulled up. Autumn walked over to the boy getting off it. She wrapped him a big hug which he returned. As they headed into their home, her son rattled on about his day. Summer's check was still in her hands. She set it on the hat rack.

"Joseph? You know I love you?"

"Of course, I do mommy. I wanna swim now though. Is that okay mommy?"

"Okay, sweetie."

She kissed his head. He gave her a funny look. Joseph went into his room to put his backpack away.

Autumn glanced back at the check and started to cry.