The Beginning

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, sadly. If I did he wouldn't be treated like he is.

Minato POV:

I'm so happy, I can't believe this is happening. Kushina, the love of my life, will soon give birth to our lovely twins Souma(1) and Kimiko(2). The children are due any day this week so we've moved to a safe location until Kushina gives birth.

I am currently on my way to join my wife in a hidden cave outside of our village, close enough to the village that we can run to the hospital if necessary but far enough that no one will feel the Kyuubi's chakra if there are complications with the seal. As I near the cave I see an ANBU, Tiger, who should be with Kushina running towards me. I suddenly feel a sense of panic come over me but don't let it show on my face.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be guarding my wife?" As Hokage, I'm expected to maintain a rational mind even in extreme circumstances.

I could feel the change in the ANBU's posture as if he was scared to give me an explanation.

"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you but Lady Kushina has unexpectedly gone into labor. There seem to be some complications. Lady Kushina is in pain and the seal appears to be rapidly deteriorating." Tiger's words do nothing to soothe my worries, instead, I feel a sense of foreboding.

"Thank you for warning me. I will go to Kushina but I want you to have an ANBU squad ready in case I'm not able to fix the seal." As soon as I finish talking, Tiger salutes and disappears to do as commanded.

Luckily I had a Hiraishin seal placed in the cave where the birth would take place, so getting there quickly isn't a problem.

As I arrive I can hear Kushina yelling in pain and orange smoke seems to be rising from the seal at an alarming rate. Biwako, the Sandaime's wife, is trying to help Kushina continue with the birth.

As soon as she sees me she instructs me to, "Try to hold the Kyuubi at bay, I'll try to help Kushina with the twins."

I do as she instructs and create a chakra barrier around the seal to hold the Kyuubi back while I try to think of a way to restore the seal or defeat the Kyuubi.

While I was concentrating on the barrier and forming a plan, I didn't notice that Kushina had given birth to the twins. They were beautiful.

They were next to Kushina who had fallen asleep shortly after giving birth, according to Biwako.

Souma had the same red hair as Kushina and was sleeping peacefully. Kimiko was awake, unlike her brother, she had blond hair and blue eyes.