one.

"If you want to love me now,then you have to learn to lovemy past

then you have to learn to love
my past. Because of the struggles I
went through yesterday made me
who I am today."
-Unknown

published: january 2nd, 2019
word count: 711 words
❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁
one

Corey leaned up against the cold, concrete brick wall near the clubhouse entrance waiting for her to appear. It was a chilly, brisk April afternoon on their final day before the Dodger's opening game. The slight yet fierce swirling winds whistled and whispered around the hall where he stood, threatening to break inside at any given opportunity. It was weirdly cold, we're talking record breaking cold. Los Angeles was only slightly warmer than the east coast of the United States, and Corey wasn't the biggest fan of it.

He glanced down at his Apple Watch to see it was 2:33, slightly after when she was supposed to pick him up. He was feeling a workout that day and wasn't up to the hassle of calling an Uber and dealing with getting recognized by a fan.

Because in Los Angeles, who isn't a Dodger fan? Even if you didn't follow the team that closely, or know a thing about baseball, everyone has heard about Corey Seager. You had to live under a rock to not have. Not only do they know his name, but they can also put the name to a face. All athletes have those days. He just needed a day to himself. Just one of those days. On those days, he wanted, needed his best friend, Olivia Knight, to pick him up from the park. She was the only person who made him feel grounded, to stay humble throughout his success and good fortune in being a star Major League shortstop on arguably the best team in the world. She stayed with him through thick and thin and had been his biggest supporter even before it was evident he was apt to be as successful as he turned out.

"Olivia, how are you doing today?" Corey heard the main security officer, Mike, say in the distance.

"I'm doing fine, thanks, yourself?" She responded.

Corey picked up his single gym bag and slung it over his shoulder. He headed towards the exit around the corner.

"Doing great. Thanks for asking. Boy, it's really cold out there today, isn't it? Sure doesn't feel like baseball should be starting up again already."

Corey rounded the corner to see the security guard and Olivia chatting at his stand. Corey sent him a grin as he thanked Mike and pulled Olivia into an awkward side hug, as much of a hug as he could offer since he had a bulky gym bag around his other shoulder.

"I parked two blocks away, Cor. I kid you not when I tell you that's the closest one that there is." Her blonde hair trickled down her back as it twisted and leaped in the wind. She adjusted the red and black plaid scarf higher around her neck as the wind continued to blow.

"That's fine, Liv. I really can't thank you enough again. You're forever a lifesaver." Corey pulled his Ray-Bans out of his back jeans pocket and slipped them over his eyes as they reached a more crowded part of the sidewalk in front of a small shopping plaza.

"No issue, Corey. You know I'd do anything for you. You'll just have to make it up to me sometime," Olivia replied with a laugh.

"Anything. Whatcha thinking?" Corey questioned.

"Oh, you know, maybe just a dinner date with Joc Pederson sounds pretty even to me."

Corey scoffed jokingly. "You call that even?" He kid, "When you have to bail me out of jail, I will set you up with Joc. And when he breaks up with his girlfriend."

Olivia sighed. "She's too nice. I wish I could hate her." They turned the corner onto the block where Olivia was parked. "Did you say when he breaks up with her?"

Corey hesitated and glanced around. "Let's get in the car first, okay Liv?"