Chapter 1: as a girl

i was at my grandparents house, reading my fairytale book. My parents didn't really care for me, so i would stay up at my grandparents most of the time.

"i want to be a pretty queen like them, grandpa!" i called to my grandfather, with my fairytale book about as big as me opened on my lap.

"I'm sure you'll be a beautiful queen" he smiled, and patted my back. i smiled back.

"its almost dinner time, you should head home" my grandma said smiling, squatting down to my size.

"alright" i smiled, and crawled off the couch and grabbed my book.

my grandma and grandpa both gave me a kiss on the top of my head, and i headed out.

"bye! love you" i called walking out the front door.

My house was just a few houses down the street, so i was never scared to walk by myself. I always had my knight in shinning armor to protect me anyway.

i held my big book close to my chest, and continued walking down the street, and soon ended up in my old, worn down house.

"hi mommy" i greeted my mom happily.

"oh hi" she said, continuing smoking her cigarette, the smoke as black as her hair.

"mom, when will dad be home?" i said, in a low, upset tone.

"i don't know" she sighed

my dad has never been around ever since i could remember.

"mom, if i ran away, would you be sad that i was gone?" i asked, sadly.

my mom just continued smoking.

"thats what i thought" i said quietly, lowering my head, and letting a tear fall down my face.

i quickly walked upstairs, and laid my head on my big fairytale book, and cried. i cried myself to sleep that night.

i woke up that morning to find out that my grandparents died that night. i didn't want to go to school, but i didn't want to be with my mother even more. so i put on my navy blue, plad skirt, and my white polo, and went off to school, holding my book, crying the whole way there.

i wasn't looking where i was going when i walked up the steps, and tripped and dropped my book. Then came Snow White, the girl that bullied me, and she picked up my book.

"hey! give that back!" i yelled.

"oh and whats a little five year old gonna do" she mocked back.

i sat and cried, as she walked off with my book. Then came my teacher.

"regina... whats wrong" she said, sitting next to me rubbing my back. She knew about my mom, my life, she was the only one that really cared about me, and consoled me.

"my grandparents died, my mom doesn't care if i was dead, and i got my book taken away from me" i wailed in her lap.

"I'm sorry today is such a bad day" she sighed, still rubbing my back.

"I'm running away" i said, wiping the tears from my cheeks, and standing up.

"regina you don't want-" i was too far into the woods to hear her.

my life would be much better, starting now.