Chapter 3

Painting nr. 482

This week had been disastrous. On monday, Alex had overslept and missed his calculus class. On tuesday, he'd forgotten he was supposed to hand in a paper, and he'd spent all wednesday working on said paper. On thursday, he'd tripped over his feet and fallen down the stairs in front of a cute boy. He'd tried not to show any signs of pain on his face, but he'd seen his aura light up a bright salmon colour, clearly representing his shame.

Lastly, on friday, one of his roommates had stolen his pudding from their shared fridge. For a few seconds, his aura had been so red, he hadn't been able to see anything, but he'd managed to calm down.

So Alex decided the only thing he could do was head to the nearest supermarket and buy more of his beloved pudding. At the supermarket, he was sulking through the aisle when he spotted a handsome, black stranger grabbing the last pack of pudding.

"No! No no no", he started chanting at the stranger, who had turned around and was now eyeing him warily. "Please, I really need that", he begged the broad-shouldered man.

"You really need... this pudding?", he asked him hesitantly. The man could have looked quite intimidating with his buff build and sharp, symmetrical jawline. Unfortunately for him, the awkwardness on his face alone could have given away all his true feelings, had his emotional aura not turned a hesitant pale blue. Alex was certain he could make him return his pudding.

"Yes. It's of utmost urgency", Alex insisted and took a few steps forward so he could sense the other's emotions even better. He was quite literally up in his bubble. It made people feel vulnerable and this fella seemed like the type to be scared rather than angry at vulnerability.

The stranger's aura turned even paler and shrunk back until it was just above his skin. "I guess I'll let you have it then" he surrendered. Alex thought he'd successfully intimidated the poor guy until his dark-skinned face was illuminated by a smile and his aura turned the bright colour of sunflowers. Confidence.

"But I'll need something in return", he smiled.

"And what would that be?", Alex replied, pretty sure he had nothing to give.

"Your number", the guy stated easily, successfully colouring Alex' aura a bright pink. His own aura gained a few pink spots, but he could mostly keep up the confidence.

"Only if you tell me your name", Alex wouldn't be bested in flirting by some handsome stranger in the supermarket, thank you very much. Now both of their auras turned pink as Alex learned his new acquaintance was called Sam and Sam obtained his number.

***

Alex had been eagerly awaiting a text for a few days, but it seemed Sam's surge of confidence must have passed, as he never got one.

It was a Friday two weeks later when they met again. Alex was at a Uni party, casually sipping his beer and watching his friends score dates for the night, when suddenly, somebody tapped him on his shoulder. It was Sam.

"Hi"

"Long time no see", Alex greeted him, crossing his arms. "Weren't you supposed to call me?"

"I guess so. Sorry. You know how it is with Uni and stuff...", Sam apologized. He tried to sound casual, but he was clearly ashamed. Alex felt bad for making him feel that way. His handsome face was meant to smile.