Chapter 1

"Ivy Romanov to the practice room. Ivy Romanov to the practice room." squealed the antic announcement system in her changing room snapping her from her recollection of their performance only moments ago.

Ivy sighed. She had asked the receptionist not to call her by her father's last name but by the one of her mother, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. At least with the name, Vladimirovna, people were less likely to connect her to her fallen family.

She lifted herself from her chair in haste to get to the practice room. Ivy wore her black leotard under tan tights and navy blue spandex pants. Her dark brown hair tightened tight in a bun and her porcelain skin still powdered white with stage makeup. As Ivy walked into the mirrored room of the practice room she saw her director, Mr.Mariinsky, and Levi standing in the middle of the wood floor.

Levi wore his normal black Leo, ballet shoes, and tights with his jet black hair combed back. Around his neck, he wore a brown suede choker that had a small curved tooth hanging just above his collarbone.

"Ivy! There you are. Sulking in your changing room again?" Levi trilled in an annoying voice

"Hardly, only trying to avoid you and your annoying little remarks." Ivy retorted

"The two of you. Enough. We have things to discuss." Mr.Mariinsky said

Ivy coked an eyebrow, asking the question with her eyes

"You may want to sit down Miss.Romanov."

"Alright," She said hesitantly, looking to Levi for answers and taking a seat in one of the three metal chairs set up

"We just got word from the Russian government that, " Mr.Mariinsky squirmed in his seat. "That, your great uncle is dead. He passed in his sleep yesterday. A peaceful death, painless."

Ivy tried to suck in a breath but the air wouldn't come. She swayed in her seat, on the edge of passing out. Levi scooted to the edge of his seat cautiously and placed his hand on her elbow to steady her. The whole world seemed to turn and distort itself around her, even Mr.Mariinsky's features seemed to melt in Ivy's hysteria.

"Ivy maybe you should go home for the day, " Levi said, worried.

Ivy only managed to shake her head and let Levi lead her to her car. He gave her shoulder a squeeze, said something she didn't catch and ran back into the theatre.

Ivy started her car and tried to breathe. Her great uncle, Alexander IV of Russia, was her only living relative from her father's side.

I shouldn't be this distraught.

She pulled herself together enough to pull out of the theatre parking lot and onto the road. Instead of heading to her small apartment she turned left in the direction of her uncles' mansion estate.

She pulled up the circle driveway and was greeted by Benson, the butler, and Ivy's childhood friend.

"Miss.Romanov. I wish you were here on better terms but it's a pleasure as always."

"Oh Benson, is he really gone?" She asked, fresh tears coming down her cheeks like rain

"I'm afraid so, madam," Benson said solemnly "Follow me, your uncles Will had explicit directions."

Ivy followed the older man through the huge double doors and he leads her into her uncle's office. 

Ivy sucked in a breath at the once familiar room. The whole space seemed foreign somehow.

Benson cleared his throat drawing her attention.

"Miss. Romanov, this is your uncle's attorney, Mr.Stewart."