Better Man

Find me at a quarter to three, cigarette in hand I'd be at every party, I wouldn't miss a chance new friends again and again, gone when the morning comes demons I try to defend, but I couldn't get enough fading away, fading away wake up to someone with nothing to say I never change, though I'd never change

   Reed was the one hosting the party, his parents were out of town for the weekend and he wanted to be known for something his senior year. I was sitting in his bedroom, me being his best friend gave me a perk of being able to go upstairs which was off limits to the other teenagers .

      "Yo, I got the good stuff off of Ian!" Reed burst through the door with an already rolled up blunt. I grinned, already a little high from the blunt I shared with a random guy earlier.

     "Ian is always hooking it up." I grinned standing up from reeds desk chair and walking over to grab the blunt from his hands.

   "Hey!" I rolled my eyes at reed.

  "Go find Lester, I'll start it." I told reed as I walked away to his desk were I knew his lighter was.

Reed left with a huff.

     Then you come and change it all with your love, your love, I'm a better, better man with your love, your love, I'm a better, better man

    "Boys this is Cyrus Goodman, he will be helping us for the rest of the season. Treat him with the same respect you treat us with. GOT IT?" Coach Purcell questioned with narrow eyes, as he had an arm around the boy now known as Cyrus.

"Yes sir!" We replied back.

   "Thank you, now go get changed, 8 minutes." He said, as I was turning to leave I took another look at Cyrus our eyes catching. He got red in the face as I smirked before running off to the locker room.

~

"Honestly I don't even like dc characters, I'm marvel all the way, but Aquaman looks so good and it helps that he looks good to if you know what I'm saying." Cyrus says with a giggle that makes my heart swirl as he raises his eyebrow in a suggestive way.

"Underdog you are truly something else." I say with a laugh as I finish tying my last shoe lace.

     After a late night practice were Cyrus parents couldn't pick him up, I was now his unofficial ride everyday to save his parents gas money. I would consider Cyrus my best friend, a best friend who makes my heart swirl and all I want to do his hold him close to me, but a best friend none the less.

    "It doesn't come out till December 15 and I was supposed to go with Andi and Buffy but Andi flakes and Buffy said she had plan. Like how do you know you already have plans a couple weeks in advance." Cyrus grumbled with a pout as he crossed his arms and sat back on the bleachers. I chuckled at his cute little face as I sat up straight again.

"I can take you, just you and I." I told him with a smile as Cyrus's face lit up instantly.

  "That sounds like fun, thanks Tj." Cyrus threw his self at me in a hug. As I hugged back, loving the feeling.

   "Tj you wanna come to Ian's party Saturday? There is gonna be tons of weed and alcohol." I didn't even hear footsteps approaching but jays voice pulled Cyrus and I out of our embrace.

   "Uhh." I mumbled looking over to Cyrus who didn't look impressed, he didn't like all the smoking and drinking. Ever since he told me during a pillow talk on FaceTime I've been trying to cut down on all of it.

  "No, Tell Ian I said hi though." I told Jay as I stood up grabbing my basketball bag and sliding it on.

  "Yeah bro I will." Jay said as he came in for a bro hug. When he turn to leave I grabbed my sweatshirt and threw it to Cyrus.

"Let's go."

     Darling, all of my wrongs, they lead me right to me wrapped in your arms, I swear I'd die for your love, your love, I'm a better, better man

   "You know I knew about you before I started helping the coach out right?" Cyrus question as he laid his head on my chest as we cuddled on my bed, the snow falling outside and my fuzzy covers covering us giving the room a better vibe.

  I quirked an eyebrow slightly raising my head to get a better look at Cyrus.

"Really? How?" I asked

   "Buffy, before she got the girls team she came to lunch talking about how it's not fair that you were team captain because you're not a good example." Cyrus explained with a cute little yawn as I traced small things on his back.

   "Did she say why I was a bad example?" I asked more curious now.

   "Yeah, she said you drank way to much for a senior and she felt like you were always high."

   Buffy did have a valid point, I did go out ever weekend got drunk, threw up, woke up with a killer headache and repeated. And though I've never came to school high, I have come to weekend practice not all the way sober.

   "I don't do that stuff anymore." I said pulling Cyrus closer to me.

"I know."

  As Cyrus slowly drifted into a deep sleep I kept rubbing his back. I would give up anything to keep Cyrus.

     Thought I'd found the highest of highs you came and topped them all you shine in the dead of the night and I was the first to fall fading away, fading away wake up to someone with nothing to say I never change, though I'd never change then you come and change it all with your love, your love, I'm a better, better man

   "Do you miss the weed and drinking Tj?" Lester questioned as we sat in his basement playing video games.

   "Yeah, you literally smoked more then us and that saying a lot." Reed butted in as he kept his eyes on his screen. I shrugged my shoulder as I sat my phone down on the coffee table.

   "Not really, I feel like most people smoke or drink to get rid of a feeling or pain. I just did it because I could, I mean nothing against it or anything but I just don't have that need to be involved in that life at the moment."

    " what do you get high off of now, Cyrus ?" Reed question with a snort.

    I laughed because he was right, whenever I'm around Cyrus it's honestly the best feeling. Like being high.

   "Pretty much, He makes me a better man."

    Darling, all of my wrongs, they lead me right to me wrapped in your arms, I swear I'd die for your love, your love, I'm a better, better man