Prologue-Time To Say Goodbye

It was raining hard. Petra's legs were growing weak. Her arms felt like millions of pins and needles were stabbing into her soft skin. She wanted to stop running so badly, yet she knew she would never find the peace of mind if she gave up now. She heard loud, angry shouting behind her. She held her baby sister closer to her chest, taking longer strides with each bound across the sidewalk. Her legs grew even weaker. She was beginning to slow down. She wanted to collapse into bed, with her sister and mother sleeping soundly beside her. Only them and their thoughts, being comforted by each other's quiet breathing while they slept.
     That's when she remembered. Her mother. She began to pick up speed, tears streaming down her face and onto her sister's cheek. The rain came down harder and faster, almost like the sky was out to get her. She was so tired, her eyes were practically closed. Her sister's safety was what kept her going. If she gave up, that would be the end for her. The end for her sister. Her heart sunk when she heard her sister's loud cries.
     "Shhhhh... Rose, it's okay." Petra spoke in a soft voice. She turned a corner and sprinted towards a nearby forest which was loaded with shrubbery. She dashed into it, not caring about the thorns that were clawing at her cut leg. She ran in a zigzag, making many sharp turns. It seemed like hours before the sounds of footsteps behind her faded. She sighed in relief, slowing down. She walked out of the forest, her legs and arms bloody. Her face felt damp, yet she didn't know if it was her tears, sweat, or rain.
     Her eyes widened when she saw her mom. "Mother!" She cried, running towards her. Her mother hugged her, eyes full of love. Her mother pulled away, cupping her daughter's head in her hands. "It's you." Her mother choked out, crying. She turned her attention to Rose. "My daughter..." Her voice was a whisper, yet Petra heard her loud and clear. To Petra's surprise, her mother nudged her away from the road before them.
     "The world is a cold place. Life is hard. but you're a survivor. You always will be." She spoke, affection in her soft voice. She turned and walked across the crosswalk, leaving Petra confused and alone. Petra tried to follow her, but jumped back when a semi truck speed along the road. Petra prayed it missed her mother but screamed in terror when she saw her lying motionless on the hard road. "Mother!" She cried, before everything went black.