A Pathetic Disease

Mentions of blood and a starving man hallucination that really scared me one I reviewed this thing, since it was pretty discriptive. I got worried so, if you can't handle that, but want to continue reading, when you're in the the stair way scene just skip it.

~~|~~

In a sense, he was pathetic. A fragile hearted little boy that still dreams of finding true love, his soul mate. Those dreams were ultimately broken with time.

"Grand mommy, how are you feeling?" A sweet smile broke into the fragile woman's face. Her face weak and wrinkled, yet has a certain glow that is alluring.

"Why are you here?" The woman asked, trying to hide the fact that she wanted his grandson to spend time with her.

"Parce que Je t'aime." He responded with a soft smile. "I answered your question, now answer mine."

"I'm fine, sweetie, but you should be playing outside, like other children." She answered, weakly, following a cough that caused the boy to pick up a glass of water. He stopped once he saw red flower and petals scattered on the silky soft blankets. His doe eyes grew wider sparkling in awe, not questioning how the flowers got there in the first place.

"Whoa! These flowers are beautiful.. eh?" He grinned in amazement picking the biggest flower of the bunch. A crimson red flower, but frowned in confusion once he realized it wasn't at all the color red, but a sticky substance that covered the flower whole. Underneath the red substance was a pale white flower already in full bloom. "What's this red stuff?" The boy asked with innocent curiosity as he tried to wipe away the red. He looked up trying to find an answer from the much older and wiser woman. "Ah, you have red on your mouth as well." He said as wiped a way the substance with his handkerchief.

"Taro, you should go." She sighed out as he stared sadly at the young boy. She rarely gets visits, just beautiful flowers that her divorced husband gave to her, like flowers could possibly cheer her up. She enjoyed her grandson's joyful attitude and stories, although he isn't her own.

"Eh? But I just got here though." He pouted, as he puffed his cheeks. Grabbing the older woman's hand. "Besides! I didn't know you could create flowers, it's really pretty, but the red is kind of weird, but it's still cool." The woman gave him a look that he couldn't understand, she had a smile, yet it still looked sad in a way, but she began to cough once again. The look was long forgotten as the little boy panicked as he saw flowers and their petals leaving her mouth. She looked paler as she continued to cough as the child could do nothing, but give a horrified look and watch as he saw gorgeous flowers continue to become bigger and bigger as she continued to cough, the flowers were all covered in the same red substance from before.

"Grand mommy?"

"Oh no! My Queen! Prince Yamada, you shouldn't be here! We need a healer!" The woman screamed, hauling the young prince out of the room replacing him was the countless individual healers rushing into the room, crowding his grand mommy's bed. The last thing he saw before leaving the room was her, paler and weaker than before as her cough continued echoing through his mind.

In short, he was traumatized. He didn't understand, so he began questioning healers, his family, and servants alike. Until he finally gave up on asking, he began studying the disease. Searching for cures, this caused him to be quite intellectual in medicine, plants, and herbs. After months of searching, he finally found a book, an explanation.

The disease his grand mommy's had was called the 'Hanahaki Disease'. He continued to read, his excitement of finding the answers to his questions long pass replacing with a horrified and disgusted look. The disease was fictional to so called 'mortals', but to the Yamada family it was real and forgotten. It can be inflicted by Yamada or the Yamada is the one affected by it. The disease is rare to happen to a family member. If you cough up only flower petals it's still at its lowest point of the sickness, but once you start coughing up full bloomed flowers you're at its dangerous point. It only happens if you experience intense unrequited love, it can't be cured unless the person that you hold affection for loves you back. But what really caused him to drop the book was the last part, the last sentence.