Life Goes On

“Daddy put me down!” I laughed breathlessly. My surroundings blurred around me as I continued to  spin in the air. The vice-grip on my wrists reassured me of my safety. Dad placed me on the ground where we dithered for a split second before collapsing on to the wet grass. Waiting until the world stopped spinning, so we could come down from the high of the adrenaline mixing with the endorphins, or putting it simplistically: being happy.

Once I could focus on a particular place like the patches of wild flowers which were so dazzlingly bright it hurt to look at them. “That was awesome. I felt like I was flying.”  

“You did?” he cried astonished at the idea. “Well now that we’ve landed on the ground Captain Adams lets see if we can get some lift off for our wreck of a ship using the swings over there.”

“Is that necessary Jhonathan?” I played along patting his head cheekily.

“You give the orders, ma’am” Dad saluted me playfully.

“Well then don’t dilly dally man. Get the swing ready for take off.”

“Yes ma’am. Right away ma’am.”

I squealed when he picked me up suddenly so I could sit on his shoulders.

“On second thought dad can we go get some ice cream?” I pleaded trying to steer him – literally, towards the van that had just pulled up by the park gate summoning children and their reluctant parents to the money-drainer.

“Vat!” he exclaimed following the direction of my gaze to a devil in pigtails.

“Alright whats her name?” Dad had kneeled down to my level probing the words out of me. I hated the way adults could do that just by looking at you.

“Amanda Samules.”

“How’d you know?” I asked bewildered. It seemed like he could read my mind.

“Cause I’ve been there.”

 “ You know your gonna have to stand up to her sooner or later don’t you” Daddy lifted my chin up so I could look him in the eye.

“I don’t want to. She’s popular. And she knows karate.”

“She is gonna kick your ass. Just uh….. Tell you what… Act crazy.

“What?”

“Yeah crazy. No one messes with the crazy lady. You just look at her like you don’t give a f…. “ He paused.

“Give her your best crazy look and she’ll run away screaming. It’s foolproof. Even you, my little munchkin, won’t be able to mess it up.”

“Okay, if you say so.” I sighed

“That piece of info is gonna cost you young lady.”

“How much?”

“Two ice creams”

I stared at him with my new crazy ook.

“Fine one then”.

“Ok but your paying”