I, Luv Hiu

If you didn't read the title right then I have to repeat it again.I, Luv Hiu, is just an ordinary person with an extraordinary name.

My friends call me Shey, which is the shorten word for "cliche". My best friend coined the term, since she find it hard to call me by my whole name.

She feels she's loving me more and more every time she calls me Luv Hiu.

So just call me Shey then.

I, Shey, was born from a poor Chinese family here in US. To compensate for the non-abundance on shillings, my parents have decided to fill the house with fun and laughter instead.

I'm the youngest of four siblings; Hug Hiu (He was a chubby, huggable baby), Tiz Hiu (She was crying so loud as a baby), Teink Hiu (you're welcome) and me, Shey.

My misadventure started when I learned what I Love you really meant. The day I met Thomas Jonathan Gone.

Thomas Jonathan Gone is a simple boy with an extraordinary gift. He can simply tell the weather.

Everyone at school checks whether Thomas Jonathan Gone was carrying a raincoat or an umbrella -- and if he did -- even if it's a sunny and cloudless day, a rain will leave us wet and wondering on his great talent.

His instincts NEVER failed us

However one day, Thomas Jonathan Gone was absent from school.

Nearly half of the class got wet from the unexpected storm that followed. Like the unfortunate ones, I too did not carry an umbrella. I was walking home under the rain all alone. My best friend had to join the cheer-leading practice after the class.

It was on the corner of Murphy St. and Gordon Rd. that the rain suddenly stopped on me.

I realized I was under the umbrella as Thomas Jonathan Gone was covering me from the rain.

Before I could look at him directly, Thomas Jonathan Gone said something which I will never forget. He said "I Love You".

My cheeks burned into redness and for a millisecond my body literally froze. What would you expect from a girl of 15 who've watched too many Korean melodramas?

Seeing the way I reacted, Thomas Jonathan Gone realized what he just said and repeated himself. "Luv Hiu? Are you alright?"

But the damage was done and I was floating in the clouds, never wanting to go down.

We walked silently until we realized that people are oddly staring at us.

It was no longer raining and still Thomas Jonathan Gone and I were trying to fit inside the shadows of his umbrella.

The next day, I was excited to see Thomas Jonathan Gone.

But like his name, Jonathan was gone.

His family unfortunately have to move to another state due to his Dad's job assignment.

The wonderful clouds under my feet dispersed into thin air. I was drifting in an abysmal sadness. 

I've been falling from the day I last heard of him.

Until now.

I took journalism in college and worked hard to become a successful TV personality.

My name seems to be an advantage in the TV industry.

I now host a prime time show which can be airs the same time as Oprah's.

Obviously the title of the show is a give away.

I can proudly say I am very happy.

The idea of the boy I once met under the pouring rain is miles away.

Or so I thought.

Last month the well-loved weather man, Mr. Barong, tragically passed away.

The whole nation was shocked and saddened by the news. He was considered an institution in our industry.

All week-long the TV programs focused on his achievements, contributions -- and his unexpected passing.

On the succeeding weeks, questions loomed on who would become the next weather man.

As if fate truly is powerful, a name so familiar was at the top of the choices; "Thomas Jonathan Gone".

I never knew he was in the TV industry.

Apparently he was a popular weather "balloon" guy in his field.

He was popularly known as Tom Gone.

"Does the name ring a bell..ah Ms. Hiu?" asked my show producer. I was only able to convince my head to nod.

"If you've got a problem with this guy, just tell me. But I'm sure he'll be selected based on speculations from the top." he said as he walk away, leaving me all alone in my nostalgia.

I looked down the floor and was immersed with my thoughts when I noticed the clouds forming underneath my shoes.

It was raining when I got out the office.

Still unable to compose myself, I walked towards the parking lot staring at the wet pavement. 

I was unaware of the rain pouring down.

Only a few meters away from my car, an image formed in the reflection in the wet concrete floor.

It was Thomas Jonathan Gone carrying the umbrella. 

I stopped and closed my eyes.

I was convincing myself to stop the delusion.

"Never will I fall again" I said repeatedly.

Slowly, things suddenly got better.

I no longer have the tense nostalgic feeling.

I no longer feel the clouds underneath my shoes.

I no longer feel the cold rain.

I no longer feel the cold rain... But I was hearing the droplets collected on the sides of the umbrella covering me.

I opened my eyes as quick as the thought which made my body froze.

Standing beside me was Thomas Jonathan Gone.

I can probably end this story with the silly conversation we had after the embarrassing moment; or the day after months of dating; or the day that I watched the news and surprised to see this great weather man proposing at me in front of the camera.

But I would rather end it here. The day the rain stopped falling.