Beneath The Veil

This woman child is my friend. As you read her story think of the horror if she were your daughter, sister, or future wife. Thank you.

I was running down the street. I had just stopped jogging to sprint. I ran her over. I didn't even see her. I stopped to help her up and she shied away. I've dealt with her type before. From her dress she was obviously a devout Muslim. She probably thought I was a boy. Because I felt so bad about knocking her down I opened my jogging suit jacket so she could see my sports bra. I haven't had a moments sleep since that action.

She grabbed at my out stretched hand. Lifted herself up and quickly zipped up my jacket nearly catching my chin. She grabbed my arm like my sister does when we walk anywhere looking like lovers. And she whispered to me from behind her veil a question I should have said no to. She asked me to bring her to my home. We spoke not one word to each other on the way to the train. Her dark kohl rimmed eyes looked wide with fright as men bumped and pushed past her to catch the arriving one train. I took her hand and led her back to high ground where I called a cab.

We reached my one bedroom flat in ten minutes tops. Soon as I put my key in the door and opened it she stepped past me, went in and sank to the floor sobbing uncontrollably, yet silently. My heart poured out to her. Whatever was wrong I had no idea. I just wanted to help. I opened my fridge and ducked down in it looking for a reprieve from her sorrow and to offer her some water. When I looked up she had her head and face uncovered and was holding up a sign that said. 'I am not what I seem.'

I closed the fridge and had my mind read at the same time my eyes lifted from her sign. She said to me she spoke better English than any English teacher. But that she had the sign because she could not put into words her story. I stared at her face. She was not stunning. She was awe inspiring. I had never seen such innocence and beauty mixed with such anguish and hurt in one human face.

I walked to my lap top. Sat down and conveyed by this gesture for her to speak.