It Started When We Were Young..

Valentine’s Day

1998

Lloyd sighed as he eyed his clock that sat on his nightstand.

5:15 PM it read.

Lloyd was expecting Alicia at his house by six, so he still had time to prep.

Alicia was Lloyd’s crush. They were in the same class at Marcus Garvey Middle School. They were “talking” but weren’t officially together or anything.

"Rashawn!" Lloyd hollered as he made his way over to his brother's room.

"What?"

"Yo, lemme borrow your Jodeci CD right quick? Alicia's coming over."

"Ouu... Alicia." Rashawn teased as he gave a sly smile.

Unlike Alicia and Lloyd, Rashawn wasn’t a little thirteen year old like them, Rashawn was fifteen, in the tenth grade, and in high school so he had a little more knowledge and privileges than Lloyd.

"Yeah iight. What time is mom coming home?" Lloyd asked as he leaned against his door frame.

"Round 1." Rashawn answered.

"Iight cool." Lloyd smiled. "So can I borrow the CD or?"

"Yeah." Rashawn stood up from his bed as he headed towards his CD sorter and grabbed the CD. Rashawn walked over to his brother, handing over the CD to him.

"Thanks man." Lloyd made his way back over towards his room as his thoughts travelled about seeing his dear ole Alicia.

Lloyd put the CD in as he began to clean up his room and change his bed sheets. He was definitely nervous but he really just wanted to be in Alicia's company.

 As Lloyd sprayed air freshener around his room and bed, the door bell rung.

Lloyd rubbed his hands together as he answered his door. Alicia's peachy skin glistened as she smiled up at Lloyd.

"Hey." Lloyd said slyly.

"Hey Lloyd." Alicia cooed as she stared Lloyd up and down while biting down on her plump pink lips.

"Come on in," Lloyd swung his front door open, allowing Alicia to make her way inside.

Alicia walked in and began to look around the new atmosphere. "Nice place." She sighed while smiling.

"Thanks. My mom's decorated it." Lloyd admitted proudly.

Alicia nodded her head as she slid off her shoes. The two of them stood in silence before Lloyd broke the ice.

"So..."

"So..." Alicia's voice followed.

"You wanna come upstairs?" Lloyd questioned as he pointed up towards his twelve step stairwell.

"Uh, sure." Alicia answered nervously.

Lloyd led the way, and Alicia made sure to follow. Lloyd pushed his bedroom door open, which exposed the candles that he had lit up prior to Alicia's arrival. Also, Cupid by 112 began to make its way throughout Lloyd's room as it boomed out from his speakers.

"Come on, you can sit down."   Lloyd smiled as he patted down on his bed.  Alicia smiled before taking a seat on Lloyd's bed.