Chapter 3

I tried to ignore the stupid fluttering feeling in my chest for the next couple weeks. I no longer sat behind her. Her head of messy blue hair was distracting me from not paying attention. After a couple days, she realized that I wasn't sitting behind her and she started to sit somewhere else.

   Right beside me.

   I sighed in exasperation as she once again sat next to me during homeroom. She gave me a glance, then opened her bag and pulled out a blank piece of paper. Intrigued, I watched as she also pulled out a blue pen and scribbled something down on the blank paper in her neat blue cursive handwriting. She passed it to me without looking me in the eye.

   Are you mad at me?

   Looking over at her, I raised my eyebrows, but she refused to look at me, instead taking out a thick fantasy book and burrying her small nose in it. I would've thought her to be at least a bit more mature than this, but obviously I was wrong.

   Sighing, I took out my black pen and scrawled out my answer.

   Of course not.

   I passed the paper back to her, and she quickly finished whatever paragraph she was reading, then softly closed the book and scanned over my answer. Her cheeks puffed out in what seemed like frustration, then she furiously wrote her response down, shoving the paper back onto my desk when she was done.

   Then why are you avoiding me?!

   Now that was a question. I couldn't really say anything without making myself look suspicious or hinting at something that was most definitely not true. I mean, didn't even know why I was avoiding her. It's not like we talked much in the first place. But then I had rescued her from those thugs and she had said she would most likely fall for a guy like me, which probably meant nothing, but for some reason, my heart had fluttered. I didn't exactly like that fluttery feeling.

   I don't know what you mean...

   As Levy read over the words, she scoffed, rolling her brown eyes. She tucked some of her blue hair beind her ear and wrote her response, reading it over before handing it back to me.

   We at least had casual conversation before. Now you barely look at me. I feel like I did something wrong, but I can't be sure, because... Well, it's you we're talking about, Gajeel. Can anyone be sure of anything around you?

   I read over her bright blue words, then looked over to see her anxiously twisting her pen in her hands, biting her lip. My heart decided then would be a nice time to speed up. I looked back down at the paper. How should I respond?

   Why would you care so much about how we don't talk as much now? Don't you have those two idiots with you?

   Levy read over the words and, once more, bit her lip. She tapped her pen on her desk, as if contemplating how to respond. And then she wrote.

   Jet and Droy are nice... But I like to talk to you, too. We're friends, aren't we? Or am I just kidding myself?

   Despite how I knew that the words weren't spoken, therefore had no actual voice attached to them, I could hear the hurt in the last two sentences. Were we friends? I didn't know. Well, I actually kind of liked the idea of being friends, but when I contemplated the idea, something in my chest hurt, like it was trying to tell me something. 

   I don't know.

   At this, Levy frowned. She moved her hand as if to respond, then withdrew it. She tapped the pen on the paper, creating bright blue inky dots on the clean white surface. And then she finally wrote her answer.

   How about after school, we visit that diner that opened up a couple weeks ago? You know, as friends.

   Something in my chest tightened at the word 'friends,' but I decided to ignore it. I hadn't had a chance to stop by the diner, but from what I had heard from Natsu and Gray, the place wasn't half bad. And add Levy to that...

   I'll be looking forward to it.

   I'M SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO SO SORRY!!! I know I am seriously late on his update omg.. If you haven't guessed school has started and my teachers give no mercy whatsoever. I have homework pretty much every night and algebra is a fucking bitch. But on the plus side, I have [finally] updated and it kinda sorta looks like Levy and Gajeel are going on a date. Whoop whoop. But only as friends. Ha. I'm such a troll.

   Until next time!!!

      ~the author that is currently hating herself for updating so late

            [~awkwardnarturtle]