Chapter 9: Too bad I'm here already.

Okay, these people meant business. Meanwhile, I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my blood. I needed to do something before they turned this guy into animal meat. Literally.

I waited till all the "errand boys" had returned, so as to eliminate any chance of running into any of them. When I was sure they were all in the living room trying to wake the agent guy up, I stealthily peeped just to be sure no one would see me as I climbed the stairs.

Just when I was about to be happy I'd escaped unseen, my heart caught in my throat when I heard the boss’ next words.

“Martinez! Get my phone from upstairs. It's in my closet. I need to call the boss.”

You remember when they taught you fight or flight in biology class? I bet they didn't yell you that the brain doesn't function in these conditions. Lo and behold, the reason why I practically ran the remaining distance up the stairs and ran into a room-wait for it- and hid inside the closet.

Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for the smartest decision every made under panic. S a r c a s m.

Who does that? Who hides in the exact place they're coming to look for them? I mentally face palmed. That was the least of my worries now. I felt my heart beat escalate dangerously when the door to the room opened. I heard the footsteps approach and I held my breath, counting down the seconds before I'd be caught. Just as I heard the closet door open, I closed my eyes tightly. Until I realised it wasn't the door of where I was that was opened. It was the one right besides me.

I took deep breaths as soon as I was sure he'd left the room. Thank God for people that had 2 closets. I held my chest and tried to calm my erratic heartbeat. I peeped out through the closet door before coming out. This whole thing was crazy. I just wanted to be home in my bed, under my covers right now. I took another deep breath and searched around the room.

There had to be something that could help me here. That was when I found it. The organization's spy kit. It was probably taken from the agent when he was knocked out. I quickly ran to the corner of the room where it was and searched it. Tear gas, hmm. Tazers, definitely. Rope, hmm yes, you can never tell. In fact, I just grabbed the whole bag. I could need anything.

Now, I needed a plan. There were 10 men downstairs. Assumably, none upstairs. So I had to take out 10 hefty looking guys. Does not sound scary at all. I'm still thinking of a plan when I hear a scream from downstairs. Well, more like a manly groan but I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a scream. And that could only mean one thing. They'd started torturing the agent already. I needed to act fast.

I looked at my watch. 8:15pm. I took another deep sigh but it felt more like I was gathering all my courage together. Let's do this.

The plan was simple, I'd take them out one after the other. How would I do that? I had no freaking idea. Not yet anyway. Then it hit me. I quickly opened the spy kit slung across my shoulders. It had to be here. It just had to be- yes! I brought out the toy phone. This toy phone should be among the world's most annoying items. It played a really really really loud annoying music, once it was opened. Those type of tunes that made you want to pull out every hair on your head. This was it.

I took another deep breath. I was so nervous. I'd trained a ton of times but none of it compared to this. Here, I could actually die. This could be the end. I'd never get to marry and have my 5 children and 3 dogs. I pushed my thoughts away from my mind and dropped the phone on the floor in the corridor, directly adjacent the room door. I opened it and listened as the horrible tune filled the air.

“Martinez!” I heard the boss scream, probably to instruct him to check where the sound was coming from, but I couldn't hear anything from where I was upstairs. I heard when the footsteps approached the phone though. Just as I heard the music stop, I peeped between the holes from where I was behind the room door. The guy "Martinez" was staring at the phone. He'd picked it up from the floor and was now studying it.