1

"Maria!" I heard my mother call from downstairs. "Mmm?" I said, rolling off my bed and accidentally face planting. I groan and sit up, picking my phone up that was knocked down by my foot. I skip down the stairs and nearly run straight into my mom who is standing at the bottom of the stairs. She holds out the phone that she must have been talking on before.

"Someone wants to talk to you." She says and walks into the kitchen. I put the phone up to my ear and mutter, "Hello?"

"Hello Maria." The voice replies. I gasp and very nearly drop the phone. As soon as I hear that familiar voice I have a flashback that occurred 7 years ago.

"Maria! Get your little monkey butt in here!" My father yells. I exit the kitchen and walk into the living room where my father is standing with his arms crossed looking very mad.

"Yes daddy?" I say. He points to the empty cage that sits on the table in the corner. I bite my lip. "Maria? What happened to the hamster I bought you yesterday?" He growls.

"I-I... Um I..." I stutter. My father stomps forward and grips my wrist tightly.

"Maria Hope Clyde!! Where is the $40 dollar hamster I got for you yesterday?!" He yells in my face.

"I... Don't know." I say, hanging my head. He grabs my chin roughly and makes me looks at him.

"Maria!" He shouts.

"Daddy... I... He..." I say, unable to say a single word. I know that if I tell my dad what happened to my brand new hamster I had been asking for I will be in serious trouble. He squeezes my wrist tightly, makings me yelp a bit.

"Maria." He growls.

"I accidentally dropped him when I was playing with him and he got away Daddy!" I whimper, shrinking away from him. He raises his hand. "I'm going to have to teach you a lesson, aren't I?" He says. When I don't answer he screams "Aren't I?!" In my face. I nod slowly. He slaps me across my cheek harshly. I gasp and clutch my burning cheek which hurts like hell. I hear a gasp behind me and I spin around. My mom stands in the doorway, her hands over her mouth. My father stops and drops his arms to his side.
"Oh! Sarah I was just-" he starts.
"Shut up! I saw everything, you monster!" She yells. She walks up to him and slaps him on his cheek. I grin a bit. He growls and walks out the house, slamming the door behind him. My mom kneels before me and gingerly touches my cheek, wincing when I do.
"You slapped him." I whisper. She nods. "He got what I've been wanting to do for quite a while." She stands up and exits, returning with an ice pack a few moments later. I take it and press it against my cheek.
"Shit. He got you good, Maria. Even scratched you a bit."
I nibble my lip. "He'll be mad when he gets back, mom." She shakes her head. "No, he's not coming back," she hugs me."He's never coming back." She promises.

"Maria? Maria are you there?" I shake my head and snap back to reality. "I... Um yeah. I'm here, dad."
"Good to see you remembered me."
It would be hard not to. "W-well yeah. I mean... Your my dad, right? Haha."
"Right. Well, yes. Hey, Maria, how about hanging out with your dad on the weekend?" I feel like shouting 'NO I WOULD NEVER "HANG OUT" WITH YOU! I HATE YOU!' But instead, I gulp and grin. "Y-yeah, sounds good dad. See you." I press the 'end' button. My mom comes back in and takes the phone out of my hand. I scowl at her.
"You said he wasn't coming back." I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "I know, honey, but he's your father. You haven't seen him for seven years-"
"I know! And I want to keep it that way."
"Maria, don't be difficult. Just give him a chance, who knows? Maybe he changed." I snort and roll my eyes.
"Welp, I'm going upstairs!" I say and run up the stairs.

Umm... Great cliffhanger right?? -.- whatever. I can't concentrate because I don't have pizza. Someone should fix that. Like, now. Stay weird~*