Memory

Cyrus was about to say something when the door suddenly opened on a woman dressed in a black suit. Her silver hair - "how rare of a colour"  -  was pulled up in a strict ponytail. 

" Cyrus. That's enough." 

" I haven't said anything."

She got closer. 

"... Yet." She bluntly said. 

He chuckled. 

" You used to be fun..." 

She frowned at him then considered the prisoner, trying to somehow avoid his gaze. 

" Can I at least tell him his name ? "

" Does it even matter..? " 

" It does!" Screamed the concerned one. 

After giving it some thought, at last she sighed. 

" Very well..." 

She nodded at Cyrus. 

" Your name is Kai." 

Kai, if he could be called this way, felt it somehow wasn't the entire truth and too much surrounding shadows still stood in his clouded mind. The woman was still staring at him with piercing grey eyes when his question was ignored by Cyrus. 

" Who am I ? " He repeated louder. 

" I'm not the one you should ask... Although... It's very unlikely that Rain will answer..." 

The woman remained silent. 

" Please tell me- I want-I need to know. "

Cyrus took a lolly out of his pocket. 

" You had an incident." Said Cyrus with the lollipop his in mouth. 

Kai noticed that Rain looked down at the floor with a sad and rather unreadable expression on her face. 

" An incident ? " 

" You... " The doctor glanced at Rain then, after seeing her shivering all over and hiding that fact with much pain, continued : " used to work with us. " 

Kai thought it was for the best not to ask about the incident yet. At least not in the presence of that woman. Not that he knew why. He just had a feeling. 

" For the government you mean? What did I do ? "

Cyrus was obviously trying to find some answer that would match the yet unknown truth behind this twisted story. 

" Mostly field work. " 

" How can you stay so calm ?!" Rain's voice break.

" Because I have faith in the Machine. Don't you..?"

Her eyes reflected an inner pain so strong that Kai could feel an uneasy feeling spreading inside his chest. 

" I don't. " She bitterly whispered. 

Kai couldn't help himself. 

" What's the Machine ? "