Just an Ordinary Day

School has just finished and I can't wait to go home. As I just walk out of the doors, I hear my bestfriend, Katie shout out to me. "Azariel, wait up!"

I could see her rushing to me with study books in one hand and her phone in the other. She looked desperate to talk to me.

"Do you want to come over to mine so we can finish that science project? Plus I have a lot of stuff to tell you."

I froze and thought about what mum said to me before school. I didn't want to disappoint Katie but all I could think about was mum telling me she had something really important to tell me at dinner.

I asked Katie if the next week would be ok. She smiled and said she was fine with it. We walked out and walked home together.

Me and Katie lived just a few streets down from each other. We started talking about the loud noises that was going on in the streets last night. I walked her home first because I felt that if I did I wouldn't feel guilty telling her I couldn't come to her house. "I'll see you next week Katie, have a good weekend," I waved vigorously.

As soon as I saw her close the door, I started walking towards my house. I went into deep-thinking mode. I thought to myself, what would be so important that mum has to tell me tonight and why does it have to be during dinner. Suddenly, a car alarm went off and I saw a couple of guys wearing black hoodies and ski masks running. It interupted my train of thought. Before I could even walk through the gate I tripped over somebody's shoe they had left in front of our house. I rolled my eyes and kicked the shoe to the side and walked to the door.

I opened the door and I saw mum feeding Calem.

"Hi mum," I quickly gave her a peck on the cheek.

"Hi dear, how was school?"

"It was alright" I replied. "Katie wanted me to come over to her house and study."

Mum looked nervous.

I heard a car door shut outside our house.

"Daddy," Calem yells.

Dad came through the door, put his briefcase down and lifted Calem up in the air. Calem started laughing and mum starting smiling. Dad hugged mum and they started talking a bit about their day. Mum mentioned to dad that some stranger was in our backyard.

Our neighbourhood was a mess and was scary for mum and for the rest of us. It was getting dark, mum asked me to help her with dinner. I set up the table and noticed that it was dark inside the room so I turned on the lights. I could feel someone outside. I looked outside and saw a man with scary eyes smile at me. I had the shock of my life. But that didn't stop me from immediately pulling down the blinds and locking every door in the house.

Dinner was ready. I grabbed Calem and sat him in his little seat. We all sat down, said grace and starting plating our food. Mum looked tensed and stressed.

"Whats wrong with mum," I thought to myself. Mum was acting strange right from the minute I got home. Something's really gotten into her. Mum starts smiling innocently. It scared me.

"So mum, what was the important thing you wanted to tell me."

"Actually Azariel, it is important for you, your dad and Calem."

Dad swallowed his food and looked at mum with a confused face.

"I've been thinking. I really don't like this neighbourhood. I can tell you and your dad don't like it either. I've been searching for new homes lately and i've found one. We will move next week," mum said to us.

Dad didn't really get a say in this but neither did I.

"But where are we going mum? What about Katie? We've been friends for a long time now. I really like her. Why couldn't you tell us months before?"

"Look. Your mum is doing what is best for us and we will go along with it. Okay Azariel?"

"Yes dad, " I replied with a curious look.

I was actually kind of angry because now I have to leave Katie. She was my only friend I could talk to about everything. Now I have to leave her.

Calem threw his food on the floor, I got up with my empty plate in my hands. "Thanks for dinner mum."