Broken Promise

I wonder what it felt like when you broke our promise. Did your lips burn with lies or did your tongue swell with a bitter taste?

The promise of late night conversations revolving around silly ideas that flashed into our minds without a seconds notice. Talking of nothing, but everything never the less. Meaningless and meaningful, it all mattered to us. That was our promise.

You could have at least kept the promise of remaining friends, that cliche everyone talks of but rarely ever keeps.

Such a fool I was for trusting you to keep that.

You can't tell me that our nights spent wrapped in blankets on your lounge room floor were mistakes, or when you used to smile at me like I was the only one who mattered didn't really happen.

I remember every surface of your skin, and I could have sworn your eyes traced my edges in desperate attempt to etch me into your mind. Where did we go wrong?

We weren't a mistake and we did happen.

Maybe I am the only one who holds those memories close, like how I still hold you close in my mind after all the hurt and regret. It upsets me to know I am the only one who thinks of the times you held me to you so tight I could hardly breathe purely out of fear that I would disappear.

But you're the one who left.