Chapter 10: Roses and Thorns

HARLOW

I smile as I sit on the couch, my knees tucked into my chest as I read one of my books while Alec plays games on a gaming console next to me. Oz's parents seem really nice and I'm glad that they're the role models for the household. Plus, it's great that they can bring everyone together and I really admire them following their dreams, no matter what it takes.

Karmine asked me if I'd like to go on a walk with him in the garden and he told me to keep quiet about it. I told him I'd love to and he seemed rather happy about it, but he said I'd have to wait until he's done helping Oz pick out his outfit and styling his hair because he's apparently going on a date with Ryker, which I don't think is a great idea. So, as for now, I've been content with hiding away in the living room and working on my studies as Alec keeps me company. I also still need to find Everett sometime to return his journal to him.

"Boomshot!" Alec shouts and I gasp in surprise as I'm shaken out of my thoughts and my reading as he throws his arms up in the air and bounces on the couch, grinning.

My eyes briefly flicker over to the screen to see that he's beaten the next level of his game and I smile.

"Congratulations," I say and Alec turns and grins in response before he goes back to playing.

As I'm still examining Alec, I notice a black rune tattoo that circles around his bicep and I tilt my head with interest, reaching out to gently brush my fingers against the protective wrapping that's around it. He inhales sharply and looks at me with an open expression, his amber eyes scanning me down.

"When did you get this?" I ask.

"Recently," Alec answers, his expression somewhat conflicted. "It...means a lot to me."

"Harlow!" Karmine calls out and smiles as he enters the room, as fashionable as ever in his stonewashed ripped jeans, white v-neck, silver bracelets, dog tags, and light grey beanie. "Would you like to..."

Karmine's eyes land on Alec and his words falter, Alec raising a brow in response.

"...go on a walk with me now? I've finished helping Oz," Karmine finishes, choosing not to mention the garden.

"Sure," I nod and smile, closing the journal and clutching it to my chest as I stand up before I glance back to Alec. "I'll see you around, Alec."

Alec nods in reply, his gaze lingering on me as I leave the room with Karmine. Karmine smiles and talks pleasantly as we head to the garden, him making sure no one else is around as he ushers me down the ladder on the balcony.

"We should be fine in the daytime," Karmine sighs, sounding more like he's trying to reassure himself, "so there's not much of an issue. Besides, I couldn't let you miss out on how beautiful this place is."

I haven't the heart to tell him that I've already seen it, but it does look different in the daytime, so I suppose in a way this will be my first time seeing it in a new light. I smile at him as he climbs down the ladder and drops down next to me, landing elegantly, as expected. We begin to stroll down the main pathway through the garden, walking slowly side by side as we admire the scenery.

"I quite love this type of scenery," Karmine smiles softly as he glances over at the roses. "What about you, Harlow? What do you like?"

"I think it's rather beautiful here too. There's nowhere else I'd rather be," I smile back at him and his smile seems to widen.

"Come, I've set out tea for us in the pavilion," Karmine says and I follow him to the stone pavilion, which has a set of tan outdoor couches and a glass coffee table, flowers and vines winding around the white columns of the pavilion.