rose

a/n hi i'm sorry i haven't updated in such a long time, i rage quit because i wrote a 3,000+ word chapter and wattpad deleted it- now i'm taking it in a whole other direction. i hope you enjoy :)

-

and so millie slept. it was a restless sleep, and when she woke she had a raging headache which wouldn't calm with the cups of ice cold water she drained or the advil she took, waiting with an ice pack for it to cease. she rubbed at her temples lightly, her eyes adjusting to the darkness surrounding her. her blankets were strewn across her bed wildly, her curtains pulled back to reveal the full moon, shining down over the mountains and glistening snow.

she glanced at her clock.

3:54 am.

she let out a sigh of disgust, knowing she wouldn't get back to sleep easily. a flicker of light made her blink, and she stepped over to the side of her window. through the darkness across the street she could just make out the shape of lilia, her curtains also drawn back. she was writing furiously on a piece of paper, biting her lip in concentration, and millie pressed her face against the window in hopes of being able to see her more clearly.

her lamp was the source of the sudden light, lilia held up her stack of papers and squinted to see her writing. millie watched in awe for a couple minutes, wondering what she could be working on.

another stab of pain echoed in her head, and her hand jumped up to it quickly, she rubbed at her temples again and then retreated back to her bed, crawling underneath her fluffy comforter and letting her eyes flicker open and closed, keeping them lazily focused on lilia though tiredness was overwhelming her.

the last thing she remembered as her eyes jerked open a final time, was lilia's shape at her window, and she was sure that she was watching her room, though it was bathed in complete darkness other then the sliver of moonlight peeking through her open window.

she watched her for a moment, before her eyes fluttered closed once more, and it was calm.

-

it felt like someone was pushing on her face to keep her eyes closed, and they stuck together as millie opened them, feeling her throat ache.

she coughed into her pillow and let out a soft groan, realizing she'd gotten sick somehow.

she turned, frowning as she noticed something on her nightstand. a single yellow rose lay across it, and tied to it was a little note. millie reached out, swallowing hard as she pulled at the lacy string and unrolled the note.

i don't want to ruin things between us because quite honestly- you're the best friend i've ever had. i don't want to write a cheesy letter because i understand you're upset and frankly i get it and i understand. i miss you, though, and i want to talk at least because i don't know how you feel. also...

i love you, millie.

and i don't want to lose you.

-lilia

she set down the note, glancing out the window. lilia's curtains were closed now, and millie watched them for a second before a cough tumbled out of her throat. "shit," she murmured. she pulled herself out of bed and down into the kitchen to grab some cold medicine. the curtains were drawn open in the kitchen, and she glanced at the clock upon seeing the afternoon sun.

2:37 pm.

"jesus!" she murmured, realizing how long she must've slept. she ran a hand through her hair, and headed back upstairs to take a shower after downing some medicine.

she started the hot water and glanced at her bare body in the mirror after peeling her dirty clothes off. she glanced back down and groaned out loud as she noticed a trickle of bright red liquid running down her leg.

why is everything going wrong for me today?

it explained why she'd snapped at lilia the other day, and as she stepped into the heated water, she felt a pang of guilt in her chest.

lilia's face flashed into her mind, and she closed her eyes, letting the steam fill her body, not feeling how hot the water was beating across her skin, making it red as she remembered the feel of her cold lips against her mouth.

her eyes blinked open as she finally felt the sting against her chest, and she jumped backward out of the stream of water, noticing the stinging red marks across her ribs.

she hurried and washed herself off before sitting down on the toilet, touching the burn gently. there were older marks that were faded mostly away across her body. she hadn't done it in a while, but she seemed to think too much in the shower often. she hadn't accidentally burned herself since she'd been in the cabin.

-

a couple hours had passed, and millie had dinner in her bed, because the cold she'd developed overnight was only getting worse. lilia's curtains were still drawn closed, and she walked next to her window, watching her room. suddenly, they opened and lilia peeked in between them, her eyes widening as she saw millie watching her.

millie smiled a little, raising a hand and waving. lilia's hair was messy, and millie squinted to see the mascara tracks running under her eyes. lilia hesitated, and millie put her hand down, a little frown resting on her face as lilia watched her for a moment.

millie leaned against the window, and mouthed "i miss you." there was a short pause, before lilia smiled, and raised her hand up to wave back to her.

-
author's note :)

lol this is the worst chapter i've ever written i'm so SORRY! i've been so uninspired and pressured because i'm currently assistant director of a show and i've been so busy over the last few months. i also have only five weeks before all my schoolwork is due so i'm pressed but i hope you enjoyed the chapter anyway.