Limbo!!

Short Story

She had awoken one morning with a feeling something hadn't been right. Although; Adalea couldn't place her finger on it, she could sense that something had been out of place. She glanced at her clock; the bright orange numbers on her digital alarm clock had said it was 9:23 a.m., but it felt much later. Adalea climbed out of her warm and comforting bed, grabbed her clothes, her purse, her shoes, and headed for the bathroom.

**Adalea stood at 5' 5", with long dark red hair, hazel colored eyes, pale skin , freckles, and a pear-shaped figure. She was the oldest of three siblings; her at age 22, her brother Gabe, who was 14 years old, and her sister Reena, who was 10 years old. Their parents; Martin and Kate Winters, owned two separate houses, the first as their personal home for their kids and themselves, and the second for a Bed & Breakfast they had inherited from Kate's Great Grandma (so Adalea was used to waking up and being surrounded by quiet...but this was different). Once she had reached 18 years of age, she decided that college wasn't right for her. So her parents made a deal with her; as long as she worked at the Bed & Breakfast, they would let her "rent" the second floor of the house.The second floor was complete with a kitchen/bedroom and a bathroom. It wasn't much different from a studio apartment, except she didn't have to buy her own food, get a roommate just to afford rent, go to a coin operated laundry mat, or eat alone. She liked the arrangement they had made because she could see them anytime she wanted and she never felt like she was alone...until that morning at least.**

She walked down the stairs like she usually did every morning, and called out for her brother and sister, but there was no response. "Reena, are you home? Gabe?" Still there was no answer. She walked into the kitchen and found a note on the counter from her mom.

"Good morning sweetie, went into town. We didn't want to wake you, we will be back shortly. Love you -Mom"

Feeling a little more reassured, she grabbed some breakfast, sat down to eat, washed her dirty dishes, and went in to the T.V. room. She grabbed the remote, sat down on the couch, and turned on the T.V. but there was only static. She flipped through all the channels on her Dish...but again, only static! She tried calling her dad to see what was going on but it went to voicemail, as well as her mom's, Reena's, and Gabe's. Feeling more on edge now, she ran out the front door to ask the neighbors if they had seen when her family had left. She knocked on 6 doors getting nothing but silence. "What the fuck is going on?" she screamed after reaching the street of the 6th house.

"Adalea, is that you?" she whipped around to see her friend, Jessie Stronsen, running towards her.

"Jessie! Oh thank god, I thought I was losing my mind." she wrapped her arounds his neck while he wrapped his around her waist. "What's going on? I woke up and my family was gone, their phones keep going to voicemail, and all the channels are down on our network." She replied, looking at him with a look that can't be mistaken for anything else but pure terror.

"I don't know, my morning has been the same...except my T.V. wouldn't even come on. It was like we had no power in the house at all...but there's no reason for it to be out. Besides you...I haven't even seen anyone else!" he replied through heavy breaths. He took her hand and they both went to her parents' Bed & Breakfast.

The door was locked when they got there, "That's strange...my parents never lock this door, especially when we have guests. Jessie, can you get in?"

Jessie was the star Quarterback on their high school football team (first-string), stood 6' 5", toned body...but not like 'in your face' muscles, short dark auburn hair, green eyes, and perfect tan, smile, and hygiene. He grabbed the doorknob, leaned back, and pushed all his body back into the door. When it opened on the first try, they both looked amazed; Adalea, because she's liked Jessie since they met in 4th grade, and him because he has always enjoyed showing off in front of her. "After you, ma'am." he said, while bowing and trying to keep his balance.They walked through the door of the dark and vacant house. The sitting room; which was usually full of couples cuddling on the couches or reading books, looked like nothing had been moved since she was there the night before. The kitchen was spotless, the registration showed no new arrivals, and the office work revealed nobody clocked in for work today, not even her parents...