A Return Home (Home PT. 2) (Fluff)

For: Inky_Mistake, who wanted an explanation of Ink's betrayal in "Home"

---

One of Error's favorite memories of Ink was his laugh.

The skeleton seemed to find humor in everything, even if it wasn't very appropriate. And though it annoyed the dark skeleton to no end - he missed it.

When Ink was around, the voices were softer. Now that Ink was gone, all they did was laugh at him. Taunting him. Reminding him of what he had lost. Ink's laugh echoed in his head, from countless voices. If he wasn't already there, the voices would be driving him to insanity.

The first time Error had heard that laugh was when they had met.

"Wow, you're really something, huh?"

Error frowned at the memory. The last thing he wanted to do was reminisce about the first time he had met his lover... Ex-lover.

The voices took that as a cue.

Wow, you're really something, huh?

"Shut the fuck up!" The skeleton cried, putting his hands over where ears would be on his skull.

"Who are you talking to, Error?"

Error turned at breakneck speed, a scowl coming over his features when he saw who it was.

A small, gray-scale, eyeless child.

Core.

"You've got a lot of nerve coming here, kid." He growled, quickly shooting his strings out.

Core Frisk easily dodged.

"He's in trouble." They said, staring up at him.

"Who?" Error half-heartedly tried to capture the child again. His soul just hadn't been in it lately.

"Ink. He's in trouble. In an UnderFell timeline. Nightmare is there." Core evaded again.

"Why the fuck would I care?" Error felt his anger surging again and he lashed out, barely clipping the kid before they moved out of the way.

Core simply jumped back. They didn't need to tell Error why he cared. Error knew that himself.

"There isn't much time." Core said finally, just before disappearing. Error really needed to set up some kind of barrier on his anti-void. Too many intruders lately.

The glitch sat with himself for a few moments. Should he go? He really didn't want to. But Core wouldn't have come if they didn't know that Error would go. Stupid, all-knowing, all-seeing child.

He huffed as he straightened himself, opening a portal. It wasn't hard to find which UnderFell timeline Ink was in. Error's senses were fine tuned to the artist, as much as he hated to admit it. He hopped through.

The scene before him was bleak. It looked like Nightmare was in the middle of one of his more enthusiastic genocides. Error couldn't help but feel the rush of destroying from bubbling up in him. The smell of burning code, the screams from the abominations... It stirred something in him.

Then he heard it.

That laugh.

Even at a time like this.