Clara's first day

Clara loved animals, and she had summer break off so she thought she'd volunteer at an animal shelter for the weeks off. She asked around until one called 'highland meadow' accepted her request to join them, and she started work the next day. She was thrilled to be joining them and helping lots of animals of all sizes. She entered the shelter on her first day of work and took a look at the animals she would be helping for the rest of the summer. She saw cats, dogs and a raccoon? Another employee joined her and said that an elderly woman brought that one in and they didn't want to make her feel bad, so they gave it a pen and she comes round to see it often.
They said that at the end of the week( it was Thursday) they would let it go and say that someone adopted it just so that it was free and wasn't stuck there any longer. Clara found this fair enough but what if they old woman wanted to adopt it as well? Surely they wouldn't let her adopt a raccoon, right?
Anyway she got acquainted with the animals, including a little puppy called Simon, but everyone called him Sime, and he responded to Sime so they continued to call him that. Simon was a little golden Labrador puppy, with a little black nose and big brown eyes. He was so cute to Clara, that she considered adopting him, of course, when she'd got everything she needed to take care of, and train a puppy. She also needed enough money for training classes for the young pup.
When she got home that evening, she told her mother all about Simon and the raccoon. Her mother found the raccoon story funny and agreed that, if she got enough money to raise Simon, she could adopt him. Luckily, Clara had a paper round, which she could do on her way to work at the shelter, and the shelter decided to pay her, so she had two jobs.
So raising money for Simon shouldn't be hard, right?