Chapter 1- Sam

Nick, my twin brother, and I were walking home from school one day when I heard shrieking from inside our house. We ran the last 20 feet and burst inside to see a large monstrous creature attacking our mother; it had red feathers and huge talons that were raking across our mother's back, making deep bloody gashes on her tan skin. We stood frozen in horror as the monster attacked her, and she yelled at us to run.

The monster charged at her and she leaped to the side, narrowly missing the razor sharp talons.

Nick came out of his shock first, grabbed a steak knife from the block and stabbed the creature with it. But the knife bent when it touched the leathery skin of the human-like creature with wings. He yelled in frustration as I came out of my transfixed state. I saw the creature swoop at him and grunt as it came away with fresh blood on its talons. I ran up to the attic, suddenly remembering what my mother had told me to do if anything strange or dangerous was to happen. I grabbed a bow and two arrows, nocked them, and bolted down the stairs to find the monster holding my brother and trying to fly away. I pulled the string and released, letting two perfectly deadly arrows fly toward the creature. One went through it's head, while the other hit it's clawed hands so it released Nick.

The monster made a louder shriek than I would have thought possible. Nick, my mother, and I covered our ears, but that was a mistake. Another monster, identical to the one I had just killed, flew in, grabbed our bleeding mother and flew away, right through the patio doors, shattering the glass, and going into the dark woods beside our beautiful house, which was now in shambles.We started to sob. Large twin waterfalls streamed down our faces. We sobbed and sobbed until Nick stopped and put his arms around me, trying to comfort me. I leaned my head against his shoulder, wetting the shoulder of his shirt with my tears. My dirty blonde hair fell across my face messily, and my shoulders shook as I cried.

When my tears dried, he stood and said "I am going to get some stuff εντάξει?" I nodded and turned on the couch, facing the broken glass patio door, my bright blue eyes staring blankly at the empty blue sky.